starting strength gym
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My 5/3/1 Variation (Karl's Method)

Default My 5/3/1 Variation (Karl's Method)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I had a request for specifics on my current program, mentioned in Rip's Q&A here: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=37109

It's just week one and three of 5/3/1, repeated as necessary. I do two workouts a week

A
    -----
    Squats
    Bench Press
    (Power Cleans)*

B
    ------
    Press
    Deadlifts
    (Chins)*

Percentages and reps:

Week 1
    -------
    65%x5
    75%x5
    85%x5

Week 2
    -------
    75%x5
    85%x3
    95%x1

If you get all the required reps, increase the weight. Otherwise, just repeat the previous two-week cycle.

That's it. It's been working pretty well for me, especially for squats. You can see my log here: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=31480

*The chins and power cleans don't follow this programming. For chins, I've been doing as many sets as it takes to get to 25 total. Power cleans are a work in progress.

I occasionally add volume to the bench and press, but this is the basic program.

This is neat. I just started my second 3-week cycle of 5/3/1 (twice a week, no deloads), and shortening it to two weeks is tempting. Do you go for extra reps on the last set, or just stick to the prescribed number?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrofula View Post
    This is neat. I just started my second 3-week cycle of 5/3/1 (twice a week, no deloads), and shortening it to two weeks is tempting. Do you go for extra reps on the last set, or just stick to the prescribed number?
    I don't usually. You could, I suppose. The whole point is to get the training stimulus more often. I'd probably keep week 2 pretty much as is, since that's the recovery week.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrofula View Post
    I just posted in another thread about this. But I am also doing the spread out 531. But I dont like only lifting 2 days a week. So I do 3 and just rotate it through...taking an extra day if needed and still removing the deload. So rather than turn 3 weeks into 6 its more like 3 into 4, or 5 (if I sprint a lot or play pick up rugby).

Also I have been going for the AMRAP on last set but I think if I did Karl's setup I would just hit the prescribed. Or maybe restrict my self to only 1 extra...just to leave more in the tank.

Thanks for sharing, I really like the looks of your program.
    I enjoyed checking out your training log also, good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    Thanks for sharing, I really like the looks of your program.
    I enjoyed checking out your training log also, good stuff.
    You're welcome. Good luck with the program. Let me know how it goes.

Karl,

Any suggestions on how to split up this program for three times a week instead of two?

Interesting idea. Seems like it could work well during a diet or when recovery is otherwise compromised.

Looks good. I've been thinking about this because of the new time restrictions i have in my life. You would make faster progress without going overboard and burning out. I think a three day would save me more time though.

starting strength coach development program
    Bump for a Great Program.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast