starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Requested routines for blackironbeast.com 5/3/1 Calculator?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm getting ready to start 5/3/1 this coming week. I don't have the time to plug in all the numbers right now, but sure am glad I've walked myself into this calculator. Thanks!

Got the books read and going to go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
    From 5/3/1 second edition? Is there something mathematical that can be automated with a calculator?
    Nothing really mathematical, the basic setup is:

1)Full body movement
    2)Assistance movement
    3)Conditioning movement
    4)Assistance movement
    5)Core movement

His example is :
    Squat – 5/3/1 sets and reps
    Good Mornings – 3 sets of 10 reps 2 Rounds of the following:
     Hang Clean – 185x20
     Wall Sits – 2 minutes
     Mountain Climbers – 30 reps/leg
     Chin-ups (these can be done both days) – 15 reps
     Pikes – 20 reps

Or it can be something like:
    Squat – 5/3/1 sets and reps
    Straight Leg Deadlift – 3 sets of 10 reps
     Squat – 225x15
     Prowler Push – 2x40 yards
     Deadlift – 225x15
     Sit-ups – 25 reps

For the website you can just make some sort of hopper that selects the specific movements for each category from the lists he provides.

What might be nice is the weakling or woman's version? I looked at the amount of overhead press at 45lbs I would have to do and knew it would kill me. I used 55lbs as my 1 rep max.

SB, there is a beginner's template. I have a feeling you got your "Barbell Weight" set at 45 pounds which it seems is the calculator's default--when I ran it that way it showed all sets as 5x45#. If you check the Barbell Weight field at 10 pounds it gives you this for week 1 military:

5 × 20 [5]
    5 × 25 [5,2.5]
    3 × 30 [10]
    5 × 35 [10,2.5]
    5 × 40 [10,5]
    5+ × 45

... which is a 10 pound bar plus [whatever plates.] Now, you probably don't have access to a 10 pound bar, but most gyms have those fixed weight barbells in lower weights. You might have to get creative--maybe use dumbells for the warmups, or sumpin'.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    What might be nice is the weakling or woman's version? I looked at the amount of overhead press at 45lbs I would have to do and knew it would kill me. I used 55lbs as my 1 rep max.
    Joe pointed out the barbell weight can be changed in the calculator.

Why are you not doing the Starting Strength program?!

I just want to say thanks for the calculator. It's way easier than trying to figure this shit out on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by sedition View Post
    are you considering adding on his crossfitty style generator? would be cool to keep hitting randomize and figure out some things i can make do with.
    The 5/3/1 first edition seemed to have a lot of integrity and consistency. Wendler really seemed to be stretching in the second edition to widen the appeal of 5/3/1 and make more money. He was throwing out routines like More Squatting that no one even had tried. He was taking full-body workouts and chucking them in there. The new workouts don't even have proper descriptions of how their deload weeks work. I didn't know if anyone really cared about these other version. Do you actually do the crossfit template he discusses?

well i was considering throwing in a day or 2. ive been using WOD generators to do at home. but i was thinking about taking his ideas and making a generator of some sort.

I seriously thought the crossfit reference was a joke. This is real life?

starting strength coach development program
    Spidey, Im sure people at home can make due and find other things to toss in. I think a generator would be fun to mix things up.

Mike, what i gather is that he wants intensity and focus. But doesnt want sloppy workouts. Dont rush through them. Dont time them. Just get the conditioning in. I think he likes the idea of crossfit but hates what it turned into. Also states the obvious lack of structure and doesnt accommodate a real strength program like his own.

To note: No Oly lifts on Upper days.

Here's what he lists:

1. Full Body Movement:

Tire flip, med ball slams etc, cleans etc, snatches etc, box jumps, long jumps, lunge jumps, KB snatch, KB clean, star jumps, stone loads, sledgehamer swings, sandbag cleans, sandbag shouldering, sandbag shoulder to carry, bottoms up squats, DB cleans, DB snatches, etc

2. Assistance Move U/L

Upper: Bench, dips, press, incline, DB/KB press, floor press etc, board press etc, swiss bar press, chins, pull ups, rope chins, ring chins, rope climbs, hand sled pull, lat pulldowns, DB/KB rows, BB rows etc, push ups, push press, single arm bench, etc

Lower: Squats etc, DL etc, Front Squat etc, lunges etc, step up, yoke walk or BB walk, good mornings, KB swings, Hungarian core blaster, jump squats, rack pulls, leg press, hack squats, ham curls, TRX ham curls, glute ham raise, pistols, wall sit for time, etc

3. Conditioning Move

Sprints 40 yards, long run 400-800m, prowler, sled drag, treadmill sprint, air bike sprint, rower, jump rope, heavy bag, speed bag, mountain climbers, bear crawl, wheelbarrow walks, burpees, jumping jacks, ice skaters?, battle ropes, weighted vest walk

4. Assistance Movement U/L (see 2)

5. Core Movement

Sit ups, lying leg raises etc , planks etc time, crunches etc, ab wheel, stability ball sit ups, DB side bends, russian twist, med ball throws, windshield wipers, bicycles, scissor kicks, reverse crunches, pikes, plank slide outs, alt toe touch and plank, inch worms, side plank reach through, cable side twist, etc

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast