starting strength gym

Thread: Benching 3x a week

Default Benching 3x a week

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Curious if you have ever ran any sort of PL-focused template where you benched 3x a week. Do you have any suggestions on the general layout (reps, sets) if I was to bench 3x a week?

Sorry if this is incredibly general. I typically train 4-5 days a week. 2 days squatting (one day heavy, the other day lighter or front squats), 1 day deadlifting (heavy timed singles followed by SLDL back offs).

Im currently running smolov junior and my shoulders and bench progress has been better than ever where previously I spent most of the previous year benching 2x a week with stale progress (if any).

Thanks Andy!

I haven't but know those who have. Generally reps are all 5 and below with lots of sets not done to failure.

Yah, that is bog-standard practice for many European powerlifters. Look at a Sheiko template for example. High volume by lots and lots of low-rep sets, mostly pretty moderate intensity for most of a cycle, slow and careful progress. This sort of strategy has produced some monstrous bench pressers so there are obviously several roads to Rome.