starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift on light squat day weekly?

Default Deadlift on light squat day weekly?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    For some reason I just can't find a topic on this, so I wanted to ask others here. Anyone seen some decent success progressing on deadlifts weekly on light squat day during their advanced novice phase? I wanted to try this out and increase by 10lbs each time. I posted this in Andy Baker's forum, but he's gone until Monday. Basically I was gonna try this.

Sunday - heavy squat, back extensions
    Tuesday - light squat, deadlift
    Thursday - heavy squat, power clean

I was gonna increase my power clean by 5lbs weekly as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkroman View Post
    For some reason I just can't find a topic on this, so I wanted to ask others here. Anyone seen some decent success progressing on deadlifts weekly on light squat day during their advanced novice phase? I wanted to try this out and increase by 10lbs each time. I posted this in Andy Baker's forum, but he's gone until Monday. Basically I was gonna try this.

An absolutely acceptable way to do an advanced novice-like setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    An absolutely acceptable way to do an advanced novice-like setup.
    Awesome. Very encouraging. Would it also be acceptable to bench press on the 1st and 3rd days and overhead press on the 2nd day, rather than alternating them? I'm not going for any meets, and I don't think either lift is gonna stall anytime soon, but I would like my bench press to catch up a bit. I increase both lifts by 2.5lbs a workout. So.. instead of both increasing 7.5lbs every 2 weeks, the overhead press would increase by 5lbs every 2 weeks, and bench press would increase by 10lbs every 2 weeks.

Awesome. Very encouraging. Would it also be acceptable to bench press on the 1st and 3rd days and overhead press on the 2nd day, rather than alternating them? I'm not going for any meets, and I don't think either lift is gonna stall anytime soon, but I would like my bench press to catch up a bit. I increase both lifts by 2.5lbs a workout. So.. instead of both increasing 7.5lbs every 2 weeks, the overhead press would increase by 5lbs every 2 weeks, and bench press would increase by 10lbs every 2 weeks.
    Can you do some medium press after one of your bench days? I subscribe to the argument that a 1:1 ratio of benchress is better for shoulder health. So you could volume bench on "Monday", 3 x 5 Press on "Wednesday" and Intensity Bench followed by some "backoff" press on Friday and bring up the bench without compromising our golden ratio.

Can you do some medium press after one of your bench days? I subscribe to the argument that a 1:1 ratio of benchress is better for shoulder health. So you could volume bench on "Monday", 3 x 5 Press on "Wednesday" and Intensity Bench followed by some "backoff" press on Friday and bring up the bench without compromising our golden ratio.
    How about... Do bench press 3 sets of 5 on Monday, overhead press 3 sets of 5 on Wednesday, and then 2 set of 5 reps on the bench press with maybe 1 set of overhead press on intensity day, but I'd increase both by 2.5lbs each workout? I'd do one less set on overhead press overall each week, but at least I'm hitting them both closely enough.

How about... Do bench press 3 sets of 5 on Monday, overhead press 3 sets of 5 on Wednesday, and then 2 set of 5 reps on the bench press with maybe 1 set of overhead press on intensity day, but I'd increase both by 2.5lbs each workout? I'd do one less set on overhead press overall each week, but at least I'm hitting them both closely enough.
    Sure man, I can compromise

Sure man, I can compromise
    LOL. Well, I just wanna know if you think it's feasible. I'm not the expert here. That idea of mine came purely out of my ass like explosive diarrhea.

I did this for months without any problems. Granted it somewhat defeats the purpose of a "recovery" day but it's not the end of the world. Towards the end of novice progression, I could not imagine deadlifting heavy after 3 totally grueling sets of squats beforehand. Deadlifting on light squat day allowed me to progress the deadlift without stalling all the way up to intermediate programming.

I second the idea of pressing twice a week while benching more often, both for shoulder health and to keep the press moving up as well. It'll probably move up more consistently if you're in the advanced novice stage and do both twice a week with an emphasis on whichever comes first.

starting strength coach development program

I've been doing this setup except with deadlift first on day 2. This makes the squats feel heavier but still manageable. Something to consider for a slight boost if your DL is close to stalling.