starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deadlift progression on TM

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    195 sounds about right, though make sure you get plenty of light warmup reps to hone technique. Setup for rack pulls isn't as intuitive as it seems.

I'd keep the RDLs. I really like them. Just keep them light.
    Thanks, I've watched the rack pull video and see what you mean - definitely an exercise you could kid yourself you're doing right when you're not.
    Fairly heavy RDLs are very draining at the end of a vol session - I'll drop the weight some and see how I feel with the DL/rack pulls.
    I think I need a bit more pulling vol than 1x3, this was one of the reasons for adding RDLs and they have made a difference to how my DL weight feels. Rack pulls for 2x5 + warm ups on alternate weeks should give me this extra vol.
    Last edited by generalstrength; 05-25-2015 at 01:44 PM.

I'd keep the RDLs. I really like them. Just keep them light.
    What is the most seperated benefits from doing an RDL you think?

Quote Originally Posted by risepmj View Post
    What is the most seperated benefits from doing an RDL you think?
    They're a good 'light pull' option in TM. They work hammies, ass, erectors hard, but limit overall fatigue...so you can still program a high-intensity pull in the week (rack pulls or full deads).

I've also used them with folks who lacked ability to control back extension. Used this way, they're a precurser movement to the deadlift...a training aid.

Personally, they've really helped me feel the proper positioning for snatches and cleans.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Should be fine.
    Thank you John

Got it.Thanks John.

Thought I'd give an update.

Alternating DLs with rack pulls on intensity day (following video on this site, bar below knee, shins vertical, knees behind bar at all times).
    Rack pulls increased to 215kg 5x2 (but have now stalled) but DLs have regressed from 200kgx3 to x2 then x1.
    Deadlifting once/fortnight makes it feel like a very long distance pull.

I've kept my volume squat weight unchanged during this period to avoid introducing another variable, though I couldn't increase it and finish 5 sets if I did.

Has anybody tried alternating DL/rack pulls weekly on TM and experienced success or failure in progressing DLs ?
    Last edited by generalstrength; 08-01-2015 at 04:22 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Here is my n=1 experience. I got somewhat stuck on deadlifts a few months into TM. My template was similar to yours, pulling for one heavy top set on Friday. I got to the point where I felt like I needed more pulling volume but could not deadlift anymore frequently. My deadlift started moving again when I added SGDL's on volume day. I did/do 3 ramping sets of five. I found I had to use straps so that it did not turn into a grip torture lift.

I'm not as strong as you.....after 8 or 9 months of lifting @ 5'8" 190ish lbs I was getting stuck around 380x5. Past couple of months I have progressed steadily to 420x5. I feel like progress is going to continue.

So although I cannot offer any perspective on alternating rack pulls/DL, I thought I would share my experience with what helped me to get the lift moving again. On another note...my squat is being damn stubborn lately.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12