starting strength gym

Thread: More rest with more training volume or less rest with less training volume

Question More rest with more training volume or less rest with less training volume

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi, Mr Mark

I have a doubt where I'd like to ask you and your coaching experience:
    I'm returning to strength training (I once were an intermediate, now I would say I'm in novice body again) after years of leaving it, and I train at my home in my own and pretty humble gym, so I can and do train any day I want.
    I usually train Monday, then Thursday, Sunday...allways leaving at least 2 days in between.

I do it to make sure a complete recovery from last training

Day A is:
    Chin up, Squat, Press, Farmers Walk
    Day B is:
    Pull up, Squat, Dips, Farmers Walk

I wanted to re-introduce Deadlift but I really like to do Farmer Walks and I'm planning on getting something like Atlas Stones or a beer Keg lifting and I don't know what's the best way to go:

To train Monday-Wednesday-Friday as you say on your book but with less excercises and swapping strongman excercises or just give myself a longer rest between each day and keep the number of excercises...

I'm a "hardgainer", 27 year old male, 182.5 cm tall and 72 kg weigth. Squatting is about 175 pounds 5x5

I really appreciate your attention and any other experienced coaches around

Strongman lifts
    Well, I'll try to answer myself with that previous thread: you need to get bigger first inteast of adding strongman excercises, you wormy bastard! hahaha

If there's anything else to add, I would also appreciate

Bigger yes, but more importantly STRONGER. I've no experience with strongman stuff but if you want to have a play with it I'd do standard Starting Strength, so 3x5 squats Mon/Wed/Fri, and strongman stuff Sat.

Run the novice linear progression as outlined in Starting Strength until you are forced into intermediate programming. You may then structure your training program to integrate strongman events.

My biggest concern is about training too much...farmers walk really beats the shit out of me, specially for grip and traps. Things like atlas stones and keg loading seems a lot like a squat-deadlift and after a Friday squat session I would be doing pretty similar movements the next day...and since I have no experience I don't know if it would be better just to add those excercises and rest more or do less excercises and rest the same just swapping the "extra" things...

I'm not even planing to compete or anything like that. It's a hobby, I just like to lift heavy things in compound movements...that why I don't do curls or calf raises and stuff like that...I rather train those muscles with chin ups and farmers walk...

starting strength coach development program
    If you're a novice, and you run a dedicated novice program, there won't be room to add other shit in. When you're actually moderately strong, like after 3-4 months on a novice/advanced novice lp, strongman training will work nicely either on its own day or by adding one event to regular training days. Right now, you're tiny and weak. You need to get stronger, and what you're doing and proposing to do is keeping you weak.