starting strength gym

Thread: HLM Weightlifting Program 3 Day Phase 2

Default HLM Weightlifting Program 3 Day Phase 2

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Andy (sorry for the back to back questions),

Regarding your weightlifting 3 day HLM program, both phases 1 and 2, why is it that you program 5x5 instead of 3x5? Is it just b/c it's a more intermediate program? Doing 5x5 squats after max snatch and max CJs seems like it is going to be hard as balls. Not that it's a bad thing, just curious.

Secondly, I've got my second meet coming up in 8 weeks. I figure I'll taper for 2 weeks so I go into it fresh. How would I set up a taper coming off of Phase 2?

Something similar to the TM Hybrid taper you provided in the book?

Tapering is highly individual and depends on a number of factors. Even then we sometimes don't get it exactly right. Just keep intensity high and back off the volume.

5x5 vs 3x5 is based off the level of stress needed to drive up a lifters squat. Again, varies from lifter to lifter. It may be that you follow that program template but get better results with 3x5 than 5x5.

When you read PPST3, don't get bogged down in EXACT sets and reps. Try to understand the concept being illustrated by the program. But know that with just about every program in the book there is room to tweak the details for each individual. This is especially true for intermediates and advanced. When you see 5x5 we mean "volume squats preferably in the 5 reps range." But that might mean 3x5 for one guy or maybe another guy prefers doing 4x4. Or perhaps a really strong guy can get the stress he needs with 2x5 and intensity work is a single set of 1-3 reps. Again - look at the big picture concept, the progression, etc.