starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Texas Method - Volume Day Weight Questions

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    So far, so good. The rationale is simple: I taper the block up to a point where my CNS sees enough stimulus to not detrain, but the overall volume is slightly lower so that I can recover easier.
    Good to hear. And smart approach! I'll read through Jordan's 12 ways of skinning TM again, as well as have another look at what PPST3 says before I feel confident enough to start going down my own road, but it's always interesting to hear how others have solved their programming questions.

I have been doing TM ish program for about as long as you. 4 x 5 "volume" @ ~90% ; Intensity is 1 x 3, then 2 x 3 @ 95% back offs for squats.

My opinions:

1) Volume day is not calculated, it is either the same or slightly more (2.5-5 lbs) than the previous volume day. Unless you have some major problem. I try to keep volume day just < 90% of int. day. In your case I would hold it steady or increase it one set at a time until the offset is better.

2) The offset would be higher if you are doing triples, vs. 5's. Not sure how to calculate. I stick with the ~90% because even though I am doing triples for INT, I am only doing 4 sets on volume day.

3) No. I held steady a couple times on V day. I even had one week where I had to do back off sets and got slightly less volume because it was about 100 deg. in my garage. INT Day still went well.

If I was going to change rep range on V day I would do it after I had "run it out" on Texas Method for the first time and was starting a new cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7out View Post
    I have been doing TM ish program for about as long as you. 4 x 5 "volume" @ ~90% ; Intensity is 1 x 3, then 2 x 3 @ 95% back offs for squats.

My opinions:

1) Volume day is not calculated, it is either the same or slightly more (2.5-5 lbs) than the previous volume day. Unless you have some major problem. I try to keep volume day just < 90% of int. day. In your case I would hold it steady or increase it one set at a time until the offset is better.

2) The offset would be higher if you are doing triples, vs. 5's. Not sure how to calculate. I stick with the ~90% because even though I am doing triples for INT, I am only doing 4 sets on volume day.

3) No. I held steady a couple times on V day. I even had one week where I had to do back off sets and got slightly less volume because it was about 100 deg. in my garage. INT Day still went well.

If I was going to change rep range on V day I would do it after I had "run it out" on Texas Method for the first time and was starting a new cycle.
    1) Ok, thanks for the input. Yesterday I did 5x5 at 130 kg (which was quite a bit lower than last week's 5x5 at 142,5 kg), but I did them beltless, which I never do for my top sets at heavier weights. I also chose to lower the weight since my lower back has been fried ever since last week's VD, so I'm hoping that this back off in volume will help it to recover a bit faster. We'll see how I'll go at it next week.

2) How did you decide on doing 4 sets instead of 5 at VD?

3) Ok, thanks. I'm a bit nervous about my ID when "only" squatting 130 kg, so at least I know I'm not out of all hope! ^^

Good point.

Thank you for your help!

I decided on 4 sets because Hanley had posted several TM/HLM programs with 4 x 6 volume and 3 x 3 Int. I also figured that since I was doing advanced novice and switching to this method it made sense to add 1 set to my first squat day. Second day stayed light. 3rd day was still 3 heavy sets, but slightly higher intensity. It was a small incremental change to the program I was already doing - add 1 set. Also I am older, going to be 37 and I want to limit time in the gym somewhat, have a young child.

Levi,

I can only offer you my log.

You can't be stuck on any hard rule for VD calculation; this is a lesson I've had to learn the hard way, more than once. It's a hit and miss at times, although I have a continual irregular sleep problem and other health concerns that you may not, so that complicates my mix.

My IDs are currently only 1 RMs, cycling between 1-3 sets, then increasing the weight by 5lbs. Perhaps try calculating your 1RM first, and then multiplying that by 80%.
    Just one of many possibilities, and my suggestion is in NO way a tried n' true-for-most method. Like someone else commented, it's a personal thing. A Friday increase in weight, (or reps), doesn't necessarily mean an increase in Monday's weight. For me, Monday's weight stays the same, whether the previous Friday's 1RM was done for 1 set, two, or three), and that's working. . . for now. Keep an eye on the symptoms of over-training as well. If staleness keeps carrying over into Monday, you'll generally start being affected negatively in other areas (beyond the gym).

Any assistance exercises will add extra load as well. For example, a heavy LTE and/or Chin Up session on Monday will make a BP/THP/DL PR harder, (depending on your individual recovery abilities, of course.)

-Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7out View Post
    I decided on 4 sets because Hanley had posted several TM/HLM programs with 4 x 6 volume and 3 x 3 Int. I also figured that since I was doing advanced novice and switching to this method it made sense to add 1 set to my first squat day. Second day stayed light. 3rd day was still 3 heavy sets, but slightly higher intensity. It was a small incremental change to the program I was already doing - add 1 set. Also I am older, going to be 37 and I want to limit time in the gym somewhat, have a young child.
    This makes sense. It also seems intuitive enough to not add volume that isn't necessary for driving the ID weights.

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    I am 99% sure my Vol day weight is too heavy for my presses. The extra assistance work I started doing might not be helping either, but my Int day hasn't gone anywhere on TM.
    Yes, the press... I have moved this weight up by a couple of kg this last year. And it's not for a lack of trying, since I look forward to it greatly every week! But I'm equally disappointed every week when it feels like nothing happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Músculo-Tonto View Post
    Levi,

I can only offer you my log.

You can't be stuck on any hard rule for VD calculation; this is a lesson I've had to learn the hard way, more than once. It's a hit and miss at times, although I have a continual irregular sleep problem and other health concerns that you may not, so that complicates my mix.

My IDs are currently only 1 RMs, cycling between 1-3 sets, then increasing the weight by 5lbs. Perhaps try calculating your 1RM first, and then multiplying that by 80%.
    Just one of many possibilities, and my suggestion is in NO way a tried n' true-for-most method. Like someone else commented, it's a personal thing. A Friday increase in weight, (or reps), doesn't necessarily mean an increase in Monday's weight. For me, Monday's weight stays the same, whether the previous Friday's 1RM was done for 1 set, two, or three), and that's working. . . for now. Keep an eye on the symptoms of over-training as well. If staleness keeps carrying over into Monday, you'll generally start being affected negatively in other areas (beyond the gym).

Any assistance exercises will add extra load as well. For example, a heavy LTE and/or Chin Up session on Monday will make a BP/THP/DL PR harder, (depending on your individual recovery abilities, of course.)

-Jeremy
    I'll have a look at your log!

It feels like I'm entering a hit or miss time now, since everything has been running so smoothly these past 10 weeks. But I'm hoping that my lighter VD this week together with doing two triples last week's ID and perhaps this week's ID will get things running a little smoother again.

How do you decide on doing 1, 2 or 3 sets for a specific ID? Do you just go 1 set on a new weight, 2 sets on the same weight the week after, and then 3 sets on the third week for the same weight, before increasing it and starting over with 1 set?

And yes, I need to drop the hard rule of always inreasing VD, because they got heavy. Fast. But it's also amazing to see how fast I got accustomed to the huge volume increase that TM meant compared to my previous program. And how fast I got stronger!

Thank you, Jeremy, for your help!

/Levi

Andy Baker has said alot about this. Always increase ID. So 5 reps then 2 sets of triples then 5 singles. Or drop from 5s to a single triple then a number of singles or 1rm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergstedt View Post
    the press... I have moved this weight up by a couple of kg this last year. And it's not for a lack of trying, since I look forward to it greatly every week! But I'm equally disappointed every week when it feels like nothing happens.
    Ah the press, always a troublemaker!

Do you just go 1 set on a new weight, 2 sets on the same weight the week after, and then 3 sets on the third week for the same weight, before increasing it and starting over with 1 set?
    Yes.

I'll have a look at your log!
    You may find my the "P-Notes" of my latest log entry (Friday August 7, 2015) of particular use, Levi.

-Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by Músculo-Tonto View Post
    Ah the press, always a troublemaker!

Yes.

You may find my the "P-Notes" of my latest log entry (Friday August 7, 2015) of particular use, Levi.

-Jeremy
    Yes, it's a tough one! I'm slowly closing in on a 60 kg press, though, which will be a milestone.

I'll check it out. Thank you!

/Levi

starting strength coach development program
    Double post.
    Last edited by Bergstedt; 08-10-2015 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Double post.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast