starting strength gym
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Something has got to give.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I find that for bench and press, my volume day can be a much higher percentage of 5RM, close to 95%. No way I could do much more than 90 with squats.

Quote Originally Posted by Got2squat View Post
    I find that for bench and press, my volume day can be a much higher percentage of 5RM, close to 95%. No way I could do much more than 90 with squats.
    IMO.... It's the other way around (saying same thing, other way around)... your 1rm will be closer down (disappointingly) to your 5rm on the smaller lifts (bench,OHP, accessories, etc)...smaller muscle groups and less of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahendra View Post
    Hanley,

For Presses, based on a few things I've read about the nature of presses, would you suggest a slight change in the % offsets?

For example:

8s @ 77-79
    6s @ 83-85
    4s @ 88-90

Then a top triple or double followed by doubles or singles at the same weight until an @10 RPE.
    Any ideas on how to rotate the Bench and Press using this same set-up? I'm trying to figure something out but it's difficult since traditional TM already has a 2 week cycle (somewhat) for progressive overload. Volume days are wrecking me and sets of 5 have become boring so the 8,6,4, singles is a nice change for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by MattimusMaximus View Post
    Any ideas on how to rotate the Bench and Press using this same set-up? I'm trying to figure something out but it's difficult since traditional TM already has a 2 week cycle (somewhat) for progressive overload. Volume days are wrecking me and sets of 5 have become boring so the 8,6,4, singles is a nice change for sure!
    I figured out how to make it work on a 4-day schedule, alternating Benching & Pressing.

On a 3 day schedule, I think this could work, although it might make your Friday session pretty long:

Week 1:

Monday - Bench 4's
    Wednesday - Press 8's
    Friday - Bench Singles & Press 6's

Week 2:

Monday - Press 4's
    Wednesday - Bench 8's
    Friday - Press Singles & Bench 6's

^ Mahendra, really neat setup.

starting strength coach development program
    Another month of training should provide a clearer picture, but I think I have my squat moving again. My exact training protocol has been a bit wonky due to insane work schedule, but I think adding some volume got things moving again. I hit a pretty strong rep PR last week of 350x5x3 and had a little left in the tank. Previously had not done more than 335 for multiple sets and reps, and 5RM of 365. I'd like to potentially establish an official 1RM around the first of the year.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345