starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone used Candito's 6 week program yet?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Ok, so I managed to follow the Candito program fairly close for weeks 1-3. Week 4, I was not recovered enough for the first workout so here is what happened:
    Week 4 called for:
    Monday: 360, 365, 370x3. I skipped the last set of three, as 365 felt stupidly heavy, and replaced it with 315x5x2
    Thursday:
    370x3, 385x1-2. I worked up to a single at 375 then did 300x5x3 based on how I felt. So week 4 I varied from the program mainly due to not feeling recovered enough to hit the prescribed weights.

Week 5 is normally ten lbs below initial 1RM for AMRAP. Since I kind of bombed out on week 4, I decided to get in a volume workout Monday, then test my max on Saturday.
    Monday: 355x5x3, 335x5x2. I like this approach to 5x5. It's a big mental relief to know I only have to do three top sets and then get a little break for the last two.
    Saturday:
    315x1, 355x1, 395x1@8(felt way better than 375), 425x1(20 lb PR), 435x1(30 lb PR). Week 5 is supposed to be not quite 1RM weight but for AMRAP, then week 6 is optional 1RM testing. So again, I didn't follow things quite exactly, but I wanted to establish a year end squat number and I think week 5 is actually a good week to test actual maxes and has almost no volume in it.

At this point I am undecided as to whether I want to run another cycle. One could argue that it worked really well, although I did not quite follow it precisely. Going into week 4, I felt like the heavy sessions were too close together for me to be recovered enough to handle the prescribed weights. Maybe because I am 44 with poor conditioning, vs Johnny Candito who is in his early 20's.

If I don't (attempt to) do another cycle, I'll probably do a modified bi-weekly TM scheme. I found squatting twice a week works well for me, maybe better than the 3x/week of normal TM. So maybe something like
    Mon 5x5
    Fri 5RM, 3x5@90% of Monday. So some intensity coupled with medium volume. Once a week volume does not work for me at this point.
    Mon 5x5
    Fri 2RM, 3x5@90% If I cannot make steady progress on an every other week scheme like this, then I will cycle 5,3,1 for every third week progress.

I could not follow the upper programming, or even the deadlift due to an intercostal injury in October.

Anyway, that's the best update I can give.

Jonnies describes his program as fairly aggressive, so not too weird that you're having recovery issues at 44.

AS I mentioned I ran his program for awhile and like the results. I had no problem with recovering from week to week.

It's hard to arrive at any conclusion on your lack of recovery without knowing about your outside activity like sleep, diet, hydration, cardio, the number of assistant lifts that are optional you may be doing. If you are doing a lot of optional shit there might be a place to recapture some recovery.

I ran this program at the age of 58, so unless I am a freak of nature I don't think age alone is the problem for you. I think you indicated you conditioning might be the cause and probably is more likely the reason.

Take week 6 as a deload or rest week. I believe he gives you the option.

You may develop the conditioning as you go. Log your progress from cycle to cycle. See if you are improving as the program swings into the intensity weeks 4 and 5.

Keep in mind this is not a strength focused program. It is a powerlifting program designed to get you on the platform. Which means each 5 weeks is a peaking cycle. Its very tough way to train.

You may be better off starting with JC's linear program first.
    Last edited by lou t; 01-08-2016 at 03:04 PM.

Going to try another shot at a Candito cycle just for my squats and see what happens. Probably not going to follow the program for deadlifts or bench at this time for various reasons.

Default Anyone used Candito's 6 week program yet?

Just finished up week 4 of another cycle. Things went pretty well, probably better than last cycle. Again, I am running this only for squats. The week of triples went very well. Previous 3RM was 380@10. Did 380,385,390x3@9. I feel like an all out max effort triple would be 405 since I did 405x2 @9. Week 5 is pretty much the peak that calls for only one set of max rep squats for the entire week at around 95%. Unless I change my mind I will probably skip the peak week and start another cycle next week. But based on work sets I feel confident I could have added 10 lbs to my 1RM.

I have 7 weeks until the meet I would like to do. The plan is to run week 1&2 for a couple of weeks so that week 5 lands on meet week.

What I really like about the program is the variation in rep ranges that has broken up the monotony of fives and provided a mental relief so to speak. The prescribed weights seem spot on, very challenging, and has caused me to make attempts that I would not have done if left to my own devices.
    Last edited by BarryF; 02-26-2016 at 01:55 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Update on the Candito program so far. This is my third cycle, and I stretched this one out a week or two so that I will peak for the SS event on 4/24.

Set a +15 lb 5RM today on squat, and a +20 lb 3x5 PR. So needless to say I am extremely happy with my progress so far on the program. If all goes well, I hope to put up a solid new 1RM at the SS meet. Should be setting another 5RM this Friday and some new 3RM PR's next week if I can hit the prescribed weights and reps. At some point I may re-try running the full program for bench and deadlift as well.

Just figured I would update this thread occasionally. After running TM for about 5 months I really struggled with squat progress for about 6 months. This program has done a great job of getting me unstuck and making consistent +10 lb gains or so every 5 week cycle(I don't use the 6th week). So if anyone finds themselves in similar circumstances perhaps this might serve others well. I consider myself to be smack bad in the middle of the intermediate stage.
    Last edited by BarryF; 04-04-2016 at 07:00 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12