starting strength gym
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: New Blog Post Up

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    On the 3 day split, I don't like the LTE on the session prior to your heavy OHP. LTE's love to make your triceps sore and tired for several days so I'd throw them on the OHP.

But overall....I like the 4-day split better. Maybe shave down some assistance work
    But wouldn't a 3-day program (with LTE's moved to 'OHP + accessory' day) allow more rest/recovery for an old man like me? Or is it that you're spreading out the stress over a longer period of time on the 4-day?

yeah, but at 51 you aren't ancient yet. 3 days per week with longer workouts or 4 days per week with shorter workouts? It's kind of an individual preference really.

yeah, but at 51 you aren't ancient yet. 3 days per week with longer workouts or 4 days per week with shorter workouts? It's kind of an individual preference really.
    As it turns out, the 4-day schedule is easier to manipulate around my work/family obligations and doesn’t have any ‘crushing’ days like the 3-day schedule presented. Thank you for your guidance on this!
    I do have one more question regarding conditioning. After completing the Starr rehab protocol, I noticed I could climb the double staircase at work without gasping for air at the top (obviously, the after-effect of so many repetitions of of -25’s; -15’s; -10’s & 5’s).

Is there a way to work this type of conditioning into this 5-3-1 program? I am unsure if I should add it as a separate component (and, if so, where for optimum results) or simply substitute the Light Squat (bar speed) day for something like 135x25x3?

Since I work out at home and at our small workplace facility, I do not have access to a prowler/rower or similar equipment. The only other available equipment is an old treadmill and elliptical machine.

Probably:

Mon: Heavy Squat

Weds: Press + accessory

Fri: Light Squat +Deads

Or

Mon: Squat + Bench

Weds: Deads + Back

Fri: Light Squat + Press

What about just running through the 4-day split on a MWF schedule? I.e., M - Press/CG Bench, W - Squat/Back, F - L Press/Bench, M - Squat/Deadlift, W - (repeat)

Any pros/cons, compared to the above?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan B. View Post
    As it turns out, the 4-day schedule is easier to manipulate around my work/family obligations and doesn’t have any ‘crushing’ days like the 3-day schedule presented. Thank you for your guidance on this!
    I do have one more question regarding conditioning. After completing the Starr rehab protocol, I noticed I could climb the double staircase at work without gasping for air at the top (obviously, the after-effect of so many repetitions of of -25’s; -15’s; -10’s & 5’s).

Is there a way to work this type of conditioning into this 5-3-1 program? I am unsure if I should add it as a separate component (and, if so, where for optimum results) or simply substitute the Light Squat (bar speed) day for something like 135x25x3?

Since I work out at home and at our small workplace facility, I do not have access to a prowler/rower or similar equipment. The only other available equipment is an old treadmill and elliptical machine.
    If the goal is to be able to climb stairs without getting gassed then an elliptical or incline treadmill is fine. Do not do sets of 25 as your light day squat.

Quote Originally Posted by craze9 View Post
    What about just running through the 4-day split on a MWF schedule? I.e., M - Press/CG Bench, W - Squat/Back, F - L Press/Bench, M - Squat/Deadlift, W - (repeat)

Any pros/cons, compared to the above?
    That is viable as well.

I'm currently doing a two day a week HL program.
    M: S, BP, chin
    Th: LS, P, DL

1) Would it make any sense to use the set, rep, progression from your program with this? Or is that too far from your program? Four days a week is not practicable for me at the moment, three could work if that would be much better.

2) Are chin ups supposed to be bodyweight? In any event, for weighted chins, how would you progress?

3) Just to be clear, are light squats supposed to be explosive?

4) Per your response to Fiddler, it seems ok to skip the assistance stuff for older lifters (especially if I don't really care about hypertrophy). If I wanted to add some assistance, what would you regard as a priority? Or does it depend on which lifts need the most assistance?

starting strength coach development program
    Yes, the rep progression I provided in this program could very easily be used in this simple 2-day split. The 4-day split I used in the program largely provides the lifter the opportunity to do more assistance work without turning each session into a marathon. But yes, if you want to skip the assistance stuff, then a barebones 2 day full body split works well.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112