starting strength gym

Thread: Programming during the soccer season?

Default Programming during the soccer season?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

I am an amateur soccer player and I'm curious what kind of programming I should follow during the soccer season.

My weekly game load is a easy going beer-and-pretzels old man game on Thursdays then a full field very intense and competitive game every Sunday. I play midfield so I run a lot. I have been doing SS for the past two months but it doesn't seem optimal to continue with that during the season(or maybe it is?)

What should I be doing to keep my fitness during the season while also not burning myself out? I don't necessarily care too much about optimal performance on Thursdays but Sunday I need to be on my game.

Thanks!

Just try it and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Just try it and see what happens.
    Tried it. I am much slower, fatigue easily, and generally very stiff. The level of my play has taken a nose dive.

Any ideas? I'm thinking of calling this experiment a failure and going back to sprints + ab work to prep for season.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskalator View Post
    Tried it. I am much slower, fatigue easily, and generally very stiff. The level of my play has taken a nose dive.

Any ideas? I'm thinking of calling this experiment a failure and going back to sprints + ab work to prep for season.
    Maybe a heavy day on Tuesdays and a light day on Friday. Maybe.

definitely this^

Tried it. I am much slower, fatigue easily, and generally very stiff. The level of my play has taken a nose dive. Any ideas? I'm thinking of calling this experiment a failure
    Don't get discouraged. VO2 max tends to improve or worsen very quickly since it's mostly dependent on chemical adaptations rather than structural ones. It'll take a few games to come back. Do the 2 day lifting/2 day playing schedule for a month, and make your decision on the 4th Sunday.

Prioritise what matters. Soccer would seem to be that at the moment. Therefore, a reduced frequency and manageable model of weekly intensity and volume should be applied.

Consider, what you need from a cardiovascular perspective on the pitch. You aren't just sprinting, you are using many different energy systems during a 90 minute game. Sprints are good, but I'd recommend incorporating other protocols such as maybe Fartlek training and duration Tempo training.

For strength, stick to the basics. 2x frequency, U/L. Choose your primary exercise for heavy work, say work up to a heavy set of 3-5, do a couple of backoffs. Choose your secondary exercise for a few lighter sets, and do some assistance to cover all the basis.

Upper:

- Bench: 3-5 heavy set, 2-3 backoffs @ 5-10% less
    - Press: 3-4 x 6-8
    - Arms
    - Upper Back

Lower:

- Squat: 3-5 heavy set, 2-3 backoffs @ 5-10% less
    - Light Pulling Variant: 3-4x 6-8
    - Unilateral (for Soccer specificity) Leg Work (get on dat dere TA muscle too!)
    - Core Stability Work
    - Some GHR if possible

Hi,

I am an amateur soccer player and I'm curious what kind of programming I should follow during the soccer season.

My weekly game load is a easy going beer-and-pretzels old man game on Thursdays then a full field very intense and competitive game every Sunday. I play midfield so I run a lot. I have been doing SS for the past two months but it doesn't seem optimal to continue with that during the season(or maybe it is?)

What should I be doing to keep my fitness during the season while also not burning myself out? I don't necessarily care too much about optimal performance on Thursdays but Sunday I need to be on my game.

Thanks!
    How old is "old man"? Height / weight / current lifts / food intake / rate of change of bodyweight are also useful data

I'd lean towards a twice a week Heavy-Light set-up (Heavy on Tuesday and Light on Friday) but hard to make any concrete recommendation without the above info.

Hi,

Thanks!
    i'm always conservative with my training and lean toward abbreviated and super-abbreviated

for example my current program, i am in week 6 and doing it for 12, i am lifting like this:

monday: squat, 1rm and 10rm, add 5lbs
    tuesday: bench, 1rm and 8rm, add 5lbs
    wednesday: deadlift, 1rm, 5rm, add 10lbs to 1rm and 5lbs to 5rm
    friday: squat, 1rm and 10rm, add 5lbs

althought last week i had toskip the friday squat session and combined the bench and deadlift into wednesday

i might take out the friday squats out completely and move my bench press to that day, so it will be squat monday dead wed and bench fri, one lift a day,

but let's see how i handle this week after taking last friday off, whcih is effectively a 5 day break. my monday squats were amazing, and with the belt, it felt amazing with that short break and the belt

so for you i would say, during season, lift only on a single day, and with 1 or 2 lifts at a max

lift for example tuesday, squat and deadlift, play thursday, play sunday

to me, more than 1 session a week and you will be really hard coring it.

go slower, you will still make progress on a once a week program, and when soccer is over go hard again with just lifting

once a week, two

starting strength coach development program

How long did you try it for my man?