starting strength gym

Thread: press programming help for 8/5/2 cycle

Default press programming help for 8/5/2 cycle

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Andy -

I've stalled on my press on all three weeks of the 8/5/2 cycle.

Best option moving forward?

1. Increased volume at end of press workout - Swiss bar Press, DB press, or really light standing bb press?
    2. Reset 10-15% and go back to the standard increases
    3. Deload for a week and go back at things the way they were.
    4. any combo of above?

Any help would be appreciated.

How many successful 3-week cycles did you achieve before you stalled?

Cycle 5 was the start of my struggles...then it has basically continued. See below for a summary of my worksets for the last three completed cycles. I'm currently on week 1 of cycle 8, and I just missed the light press sets of 8 on bench day by a single rep.

Cycle 5 - 175 X 8 X 3; 200 X 5,5,4; 225 X 1,1,0;
    Cycle 6 - 180 X 8,8,7; 200 X 5 X 3; 225 X 2 X 3;
    Cycle 7 - 180 X 8 X 3; 202.5 X 5,5,4; 227.5 X 2,1,0;

I'm open to trying anything to better my recent press numbers. What about resting durations? I'm typically resting at least 5.5 to 6 minutes between worksets. I can extend it, but I'm not sure how much that will help.

Your progress is still going in the right direction, albeit slowly. Start with rests of 8 minutes and see if that helps. Especially on the 3rd set. I don't see a need to reset just yet. Keep pushing

Thanks. I'll keep on keeping on with longer rest sets for now. I am going to move up my 8 and 5 worksets but will keep the 2 workset weight the same due to the failed reps. Everything is 2.5 lbs/jump on the press from this point forward...

I bought the e-book, btw. I will stick to what was originally prescribed for now, but I may alter things at the end of the year based upon your newest wrinkle on the 8/5/2 programming for powerbuilding. I like what I read...but I may need to buy the book your writing on working out at home as I will need to mod my exercises to fit the equipment I have.

Always move up a rep range when you get all 3 sets for prescribed reps. This is what will un-stick the "stuck" rep range. Never go up on a rep range until you complete all 3 sets. It bottoms out pretty quick if you get impatient. Most reliable system I have ever used with a broad range of clients. It tends to work almost universally and it tends to work for LONG periods of time relative to other methods. Not saying its all you'll ever need or that it's fail proof, but it's a very safe bet for most intermediates. Check out John Petrizzo's log on this site. He's been using it off and on for a number of years now with a lot of success.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    ...Most reliable system I have ever used with a broad range of clients. It tends to work almost universally and it tends to work for LONG periods of time relative to other methods. Not saying its all you'll ever need or that it's fail proof, but it's a very safe bet for most intermediates...
    Could the same also be said for 5/3/1, or is there just something about 8/5/2?

If you're speaking only of 8/5/2, does the generalization also apply to 60+ geezers?

Regardless of your answer, I bought both - the KSC Method and Strength/Mass After 40, and I'd like to tell the folks out there, it's worth the dough. If you read them, study them, read between the lines, there are a lot of "red meat" programming ideas for ya.

I think there is something to the "spread" between 8s, 5s, 2s. Bigger fluctuations in the nature of the stress from session to session keeps you mentally and physically fresh. 8s make the 5s feel a helluva lot easier.

Maybe Frank Sanders can chime in. He uses my 852 programming. In his 60s. Super strong dude.

Thanks, Tater

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MashedTaters View Post
    Could the same also be said for 5/3/1, or is there just something about 8/5/2?

If you're speaking only of 8/5/2, does the generalization also apply to 60+ geezers?

Regardless of your answer, I bought both - the KSC Method and Strength/Mass After 40, and I'd like to tell the folks out there, it's worth the dough. If you read them, study them, read between the lines, there are a lot of "red meat" programming ideas for ya.
    I'll second that. I got both books and there's lots of good stuff there. I'm 58.