starting strength gym
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: SS SQUATS becoming Grindfest!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I would even think that a Heavy-Light-Prep format would work

3x5, 2x5 @75%, 2-3x2-3 +5 of Heavy day

Would work out. Good way to add weight to the bar and keep tonnage up.

Lots of ways to skin this cat.

Quote Originally Posted by tfranc View Post
    Where does it say he has a light day? I've re-read his posts 4 times at this point and I see zero mentions of a light day, and only one seemingly haphazard reference to being an advanced novice, followed by a question that leads me to believe that he is, in fact, not.
    The absolute very first sentence of the very first post in this thread is "On SS advanced novice at moment." That is a very specific thing to say. I can only assume you're reading more into his response about a reset than I am. This would also change all the math. I am not reading into anything more than it's been presented.

I appreciate the kind, yet stern tone of your question. The furthest advancement I have made is just into advanced novice, having taken a single back off and made both 5, and 10 lb jumps back to my previous PR. I have done this 3 times due to an injury and illness, and am about to do it a 4th time, so I would even venture to say that I have more experience than most novices with taking a back off and understanding its effectiveness. As for the rest of training advancement, I admit, I have zero experience. But I've been a student of this long enough to at least understand its implication on a basic level. I cannot comment on the ease of intermediate programming at the OP's stage, but I know enough that SS will always be faster than TM in the long run.
    Thank you for not taking that in any other tone. The bolded part misses that SS is a fairly short program. It's not sustainable for very long, so "I'm the long run" is an inaccurate way to look at the programming. You run linear progression hard for a couple months, then as progress inevitable comes to a stall, you shift gears. The SRA cycle shifts quickly to the right.

Cody... if you're actually Cody Miller SSC, please let me know and I will bow out.
    I am not. But it's possible I squat more than him. What do you squat, Miller?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Lots of ways to skin this cat.
    Absolutely.
    Last edited by Cody; 09-15-2016 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    I am not. But it's possible I squat more than him. What do you squat, Miller?
    You have more belts for sure.

The absolute very first sentence of the very first post in this thread is "On SS advanced novice at moment." That is a very specific thing to say. I can only assume you're reading more into his response about a reset than I am. This would also change all the math. I am not reading into anything more than it's been presented.
    I saw that and I understand what you are saying. However, just a little further down the 1st page, the OP says, "Move to intermediate programming on first fail on squats??? Shouldn't you at least deload one or twice before moving to intermediate. As prescribed in practical programming...???"

"Move to intermediate on first fail of squats" is the biggest red flag to me about this question. It's a red flag because, according to PPST3, you don't program any sort of reset until "first fail on squats". This leads me to believe that the OP isn't actually advanced novice. But, I acknowledge his confidence and clarity in starting that he is " running advanced novice". Perhaps he went to a light day first, without taking a back off (which is technically "YNDTP"). However, there is little to no evidence to suggest this.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for not taking that in any other tone. The bolded part misses that SS is a fairly short program. It's not sustainable for very long, so "I'm the long run" is an inaccurate way to look at the programming. You run linear progression hard for a couple months, then as progress inevitable comes to a stall, you shift gears. The SRA cycle shifts quickly to the right.
    I was not clear enough. I should have said: The rate of adding lbs will always be faster for SS than TM, and if you can still use SS, why not?"

I'm not a fan of resets for novices hitting work sets that are 300+ lbs - I'm betting you just need a longer SRA cycle.
    This is a very important point to make here. Last thing we want is novices moving to intermediate programming after finding sub 200 lbs squats "hard."

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    This is a very important point to make here. Last thing we want is novices moving to intermediate programming after finding sub 200 lbs squats "hard."
    And what about 300+ deadlifts? Those are done even more infrequently and take even longer to jump back from. I offer the opinion that switching to intermediate programming should be based soley on rate of adaptation and I think many SSC's would agree. That's the way the experts wrote it in the book, I believe they knew what they were talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    Also, don't bow out of a conversation/debate just because some has an SSC. That's stupid as fuck. Blegh. Really, that's gross.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    +1
    +2. I debate quite frequently with the SSCs. If you're of good spirit, it can be enlightening for everyone involved.

Regardless of your arguments for SS I believe Cody has the strongest one for any novice with 300lb + squat, even if one was to deload/reset. Fatigue will inevitable set in again at later date probably just after a PR. What Cody is stating is "was it worthwhile"?...since you could be making a sustainable gains at intermediate and control fatigue by spreading out the tonnage. Makes perfect sense really.

Biting down the gumshield...and continuing on SS isn't thinking long term.

Hypothetically if I did that and I got my squat to 400lb+ On SS, I would be so beat up, that I would need some time off to recuperate before intermediate.

I will post update after my first session on heavy day on Saturday

Thanks to you all, I really appreciate all the input.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    Also, don't bow out of a conversation/debate just because some has an SSC. That's stupid as fuck. Blegh. Really, that's gross.
    Well KOJ, when I am actually squatting some real weight, like you, I won't bow out either. I'm a novice. The truth is that I don't know jack shit, and the arguments that I am making are at the very edge of my knowledge/experience. I understand debates help you learn, but I'm not about to tell an SSC, someone who has taken the time, that I think they may be wrong, all respect to Cody.
    Last edited by tfranc; 09-15-2016 at 02:09 PM.

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast