starting strength gym
Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast

Thread: SS SQUATS becoming Grindfest!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    Did you seriously turn the other cheek on solid bench pressing advice for a guy whose bench has stalled because he squats less than you (and you couldn't have said it in a more cocky way)?

How about this: You squat more than I do, but I bench 70 pounds more than you do, and I also weigh less than you--220 feels like a butterfly on my chest. Does this mean you're unqualified to give me squat advice?
    I think it's best I ignore this post...,please let's stick to the topic, which 400lb squatter should have a bigger bench than a guy who squats less than him.... It's the SS model that creates this imbalance how do we rectify it?

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    First and foremost, don't tie squat progress directly to bench progress. Heck, even press and bench correlate, but not perfectly.

SS is fine for getting folks strong in a general sense, but then many end up with ratios just like yours. Even in the competitive logs, there are guys squatting 500 for 5 and benching a 295 1RM.

Plain and simple, you need to look at frequency first. Your bench is probably still in novice land and you could probably bench 3x per week with microloading and run a reasonable LP for another 3-4 weeks.

That's why the outline of mine I linked would have you benching 3x/ week. I think that's the first variable you should look at (frequency), before volume.

Beyond programming, I'd also suspect that the bench form could be cleaned up. A lot of folks benefit from small tweaks that give them a much better platform for pushing.
    THIS IS THE SORT OF POST! I been waiting for many thanks ......you are absolute gem!

Quote Originally Posted by Ice-man View Post
    I think it's best I ignore this post...,please let's stick to the topic, which 400lb squatter should have a bigger bench than a guy who squats less than him.... It's the SS model that creates this imbalance how do we rectify it?
    This thread was really useful and informative, but now it's just turned into your personal log and free coaching forum (actually, it turned into that a few pages into the thread). And anyone you disagree with is somehow "off topic." This is the last post I'm going to make in this thread because you seem hopeless without everyone's hand-holding. You're not resourceful, and I've pointed things out that have gone way over your head.

Here's what I've observed about you:

1. You want free advice from workout to workout, week to week. A lot of it.

2. You only want it if it suits your pre-existing beliefs, or if it's coming from someone you believe to be much stronger than you in any or all the lifts.

3. You believe that if advice is given to someone who might lift less weight than you, the advice does not apply to you.

4. You get over excited about the smallest things that happen to you in the short term, such as caloric intake changes from day to day, or a loss/gain in strength over a week or two. You can't look at the bigger picture.

I thought that KotJ was maybe a little out of line--albeit facetious--when he said it was unfortunate that one of your posts wasn't a suicide note, and I still disagree with him, but I can definitely understand where he's coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    This thread was really useful and informative, but now it's just turned into your personal log and free coaching forum (actually, it turned into that a few pages into the thread). And anyone you disagree with is somehow "off topic." This is the last post I'm going to make in this thread because you seem hopeless without everyone's hand-holding. You're not resourceful, and I've pointed things out that have gone way over your head.

Here's what I've observed about you:

1. You want free advice from workout to workout, week to week. A lot of it.

2. You only want it if it suits your pre-existing beliefs, or if it's coming from someone you believe to be much stronger than you in any or all the lifts.

3. You believe that if advice is given to someone who might lift less weight than you, the advice does not apply to you.

4. You get over excited about the smallest things that happen to you in the short term, such as caloric intake changes from day to day, or a loss/gain in strength over a week or two. You can't look at the bigger picture.

I thought that KotJ was maybe a little out of line--albeit facetious--when he said it was unfortunate that one of your posts wasn't a suicide note, and I still disagree with him, but I can definitely understand where he's coming from.
    Dude what is your problem...please this is a good post don't ruin it with insults and childish behavior.....Cody was giving me programming advice and it has been fantastic....I have no intentions of listening to what you have to say if you continue to insult me btw I have no idea who KIng of Jew is he has been negative throughout the thread......why he does this? I couldn't care less....he is irrelevant please let's get back to topic...I will continue to treat this post as a combination of logs/help....so one day it may be helpful and insightful to others .....

***please I plead with you if the next post you have in mind has nothing to do with programming advice or positive strength related advice .....please just don't post****

Cody is tremendous character and good hearted person this is reflective of his helpful nature. This is charactistics money can't buy.

You say free coaching I'm willing to pay Cody good money but he has refused again this is reflective of nature unlike others
    Last edited by Ice-man; 01-17-2017 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    Fuck ice Man. He a hoe. Whoop that trick. He acting like a bia bia. No Vaseline.

Maybe a letter help written during a homocide, or perhaps a note scribbled out while being crushed by a failed lift.

Who am I kidding? The ice Man is always cool.

However, we share some reasoning...Due to all of his lifts feeling like butterflies on my back or in my hands, I demand he lets me hangout with him sometime.

Maybe play volleyball. Maybe practice aeronautical maneuvers. Maybe slap high 5s.
    I would love to buy you dinner and beer and chill, honestly. I'm sure there is a kindhearted person inside there somewhere lol....all love dude. All love here

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    First and foremost, don't tie squat progress directly to bench progress. Heck, even press and bench correlate, but not perfectly.

SS is fine for getting folks strong in a general sense, but then many end up with ratios just like yours. Even in the competitive logs, there are guys squatting 500 for 5 and benching a 295 1RM.

Plain and simple, you need to look at frequency first. Your bench is probably still in novice land and you could probably bench 3x per week with microloading and run a reasonable LP for another 3-4 weeks.

That's why the outline of mine I linked would have you benching 3x/ week. I think that's the first variable you should look at (frequency), before volume.

Beyond programming, I'd also suspect that the bench form could be cleaned up. A lot of folks benefit from small tweaks that give them a much better platform for pushing.
    Many thanks again. I will go ahead and milk out bench via LP, 3 times a week....I will formulate that into my split routine and will provide feed back on how it's going...will start with 200lb and micro load 3x a week. Again thanks buddy

I have a fear of icebergs. Do you live in/on an iceberg?

Thots on snew koans?!
    Ice-man loves his grandmothers home made yellow koans

Quote Originally Posted by The_GOAT View Post
    Grindfest sounds like some sort of EDM festival for the uninhibited.
    Also known as a highschool dance.

Quote Originally Posted by DodgerDog View Post
    Ice-man loves his grandmothers home made yellow koans
    Ya'll talking 'bout ma maama ...no u didn't ...lol

starting strength coach development program
    I have a fear of icebergs. Do you live in/on an iceberg?

Thots on snew koans?!
    No however we recently in london survived the blizzard of 2017 about 2 millimetres of continuous snow fall ......it was horrific

I'm very excited to try and bench 3x a week in a linear fashion....just killed double gourmet homemade burgers ....right time to jump in my GLA class and head to the gym

P.s since the start of this thread I gained 80lb on my squat......320lb-405lb..I hope whoever is reading this and looking for help ...gets similar results. You have to put in the work though!
    Last edited by Ice-man; 01-17-2017 at 06:43 PM.

Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast