starting strength gym
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Program Evaluation

Default Program Evaluation

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Please evaluate. Seems good and the creator has said it is based on novice progression and the training methods of Doug Young. Thanks for your help.

WORKOUT A.
    Bench Press 3x6, 1x6+
    Pendlay Row 3x6, 1x6+
    Back Squat 5+-4-3-2-1
    Chin-Ups 3x AMRAP

WORKOUT B.
    Press 3x6, 1x6+
    Deadlift 5+-4-3-2-1
    Lat Pulldowns 3x6, 1x6+
    One-Arm Rows 1-2x AMRAP

Every rep over 6 in the upper body movements means an increase of 5lbs next session while every rep under 6 means a decrease of 5. The squats and deadlifts use the same method but move in 10lbs increments up or down.

Sure. Try it. You're not going to listen to anybody anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Sure. Try it. You're not going to listen to anybody anyways.
    At least I'm getting stronger now though right? I'm lighter and moving a lot more weight now. It seems like I just progress better without too much structure to be honest. I mix high reps and moderate weight and low reps heavy weight and I keep getting stronger. My logic is telling me that I should follow a program though rather than solely going off of feel. Anything works at first but nothing works forever. My ability to progress so well without structure is what is confusing me.

It's not confusing. You don't like difficult. You are an under weight young man. The Starting Strength novice linear progression is perfect for you. Again, do whatever you want. You aren't going to listen to anybody's advice.

Good things that come to mind
    1) Bench and press alternate, so there's that.
    2) Chinups should work well.
    3) There is probably enough deadlifting.

Weird things that come to mind:
    1) Not enough squatting (Should be at least twice a week for a novice)
    2) The progression template seems too sensitive to short term changes and the "every rep under 6" is rather arbitrary. And why not linear progression with 5lbs on squats and deads?
    3) The rep ranges seem ok though, but again, what's with the squat reps, is that like, a pyramid? Why not just 3x5?
    4) A lot of lat-work there. Too much, I would say, I mean you have HALF your program target the lats. Is this like a "beach body"-program? Or do you plan to audition for the part of Bane in the upcoming DC-movies and want to "look the part"? If this is the case then you should also focus on the TrapzZz, so replace pendlays with power cleans and lat pull downs with shrugs. (Ok, this is was a joke)

Seriously, tho: Why not just do the SS novice program? IF you are hell-bent on working those LatZ, then just add your giganormous latwork on top of SS.

Like someone said, you're not going to take shit from us.

At this point, you should probably just run Smolov.

Quote Originally Posted by B-MoreBeast View Post
    Please evaluate. Seems good and the creator has said it is based on novice progression and the training methods of Doug Young. Thanks for your help.

WORKOUT A.
    Bench Press 3x6, 1x6+
    Pendlay Row 3x6, 1x6+
    Back Squat 5+-4-3-2-1
    Chin-Ups 3x AMRAP

WORKOUT B.
    Press 3x6, 1x6+
    Deadlift 5+-4-3-2-1
    Lat Pulldowns 3x6, 1x6+
    One-Arm Rows 1-2x AMRAP

Every rep over 6 in the upper body movements means an increase of 5lbs next session while every rep under 6 means a decrease of 5. The squats and deadlifts use the same method but move in 10lbs increments up or down.
    How many programs do you think you've posted on here in the past 12 months? How much stronger have you gotten? This program doesn't look very good.

Let's say, for the sake of argument only, that this program will work equally well to SS. Why would you do the more complex thing to get the same results?
    Last edited by I_iz_a_fatass; 10-20-2016 at 03:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by B-MoreBeast View Post
    Program.
    Kid, you've been told already: loose the love for your abs, do SS, eat and sleep. Stop making excuses like "strength to bodyweight ratio", "barbell pressing is bad for baseball", etc.

Also, get your form checked by a real coach because your last deadlift videos hurt my back just from watching. Adding weight to that is going to put you in surgery by 27.

Speaking of 27, if you heed to the advice you've been given in this forum, your 27 years old self will thank your 17/18 yo self.

starting strength coach development program
    Practical Programming Novice Program? Good balance of everything. 3x a week squat, 1x a week deadlift, alternate bench and press, has chins and pull ups. My only concern is that it doesn't have any power cleans. Would PP be better than what is above? The one above seemed very good for upper body development but looked like it lacked the lower body volume/frequency necessary for a novice to progress. Also SS is very hard. I don't know if it's a mental thing but just the thought of adding 5-10lbs each time can get in your head a bit. What doesn't make sense though is I add weight each time when I do random stuff and don't even think about it because that's just what I do.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast