starting strength gym

Thread: Late LP squats

Default Late LP squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Andy / all,

Had a shit workout yesterday and wanted to get some advice.

I believe I am likely in the latter stages of my novice LP, have been on advanced novice squat programming for a month or so and just introduced the 1x5 top set / 2x5 back off set methodology. Squatted a 1x5 top set @ 310 on Tuesday (10/18) last week, had my light day in the middle, then went in for 315 yesterday and got pinned hard after 2 reps. Didn't even get to grind, felt like my legs just completely gave out as soon as I bounced out of the hole. Had been feeling pretty fresh and ready prior so this was an unpleasant surprise.

If video helps, here is the failed @ 315: 1x2 @ 315 20161023 side view - YouTube. Here is a successful 1x5 @ 305 from the week before: 1x5 @ 305 20161012 side view - YouTube.

Relevant numbers are:
    5'10" / 183lbs on wake up
    SQ 1x5 @ 310
    B 3x5 @ 202.5
    P 3x3 @ 127.5
    D 1x5 @ 335
    PC 5x3 @ 145
    Nutrition/sleep were fine leading into this.

I just read your (timely) novice -> intermediate transition article, but had been thinking/hoping I could eke out another month of the LP. But getting smashed by the weight like that made me wonder how to proceed.

What's your gut feeling here? Did I just fuck this set up / have a bad workout, or is there sufficient reason to alter the programming? Most importantly, how should I program squats in my next 2-3 sessions to avoid completely screwing things up and wasting a couple weeks getting things back together?

My guess is that you are getting close to the need for new programming. You might try another workout just to make sure it wasn't an anamoly but if you don't get things corrected within a week or so of small set/rep tweaks, then I'd make a change...at least on your squat programming.

Got it. Will do a light day in between per normal procedure and then attempt 315 again. Thanks for your time and help.

5'10 and 183? you're tiny

Tiny is a little strong of a description, but yeah, a few additional pounds would obviously help. We don't know age and goals.