starting strength gym
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: What weight to start with and expectations

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by dmgetz View Post
    Well, it's all relative, right? 250 is more than most people, and almost all untrained teens, but most people don't do any strength training, so is that really the pertinent group for comparison? It's like spending a couple months learning the basics of the guitar and one or two rudimentary songs and then claiming you're good at the guitar because you're better than all the people who don't play.
    What you are saying makes sense, and I agree, 250 isnt impressive for a serious, trained lifter.

But Ito not like I'm a "live to gym" guy either. I'm going 3 times a week for about 2 months until I reach my goal, then I'll just do some regular stuff. I obviously don't plan to ever be a power lifter.

Yes, it's true that a 250 squat isn't as high as those who regularly do strength training, but it is higher most untrained people, and most people who go to the gym in general, especially those who go for less than 2 months,

Pretty much all strength standards online say a 100kg squat for a 75kg guy is somewhere between a novice and an intermediate (yes, I realize this isn't where that is for a starting strength user), but I'm not comparing myself to starting strength users. There's a difference between saying "he's weak for a lifter" and "he's really weak"

If someone who does a lot of vertical jump training has a vertical jump of 27 inches, you could say "oh he's jump isn't that good"

You don't say "his jump is trash" even though it Might be compared to an elite jumper. It's still technically a solid vertical jump

I didn't instigate anything, so I don't understand why everyone's so pissed off.

Yes, 250 is weak considering that I'm using starting strength, yes, it's weak for someone who is training for power, but it's not weak for a 15 year old teenager that's gone to the gym for about 2 months. Is it weak for someone who uses the starting strength program, and is it a low end goal? Yeah. But being content with a low end goal isn't a reason for other people to get pissed.

As for asking questions a lot, I don't wanna screw something up at the age of 15, so I'm making sure. Yeah I asked the same questions a few times, but I'm just making sure.

As for me making an excuse not to squat, my excuse is my parents are not allowing me to go to the gym, and there is no other one I can go to since I'm not allowed out of the house this week because exams.

When someone phrases is like you do I have no problems.

When people keep mentioning, over and over again, that "oh 250 is so weak my wife who barely ever goes to the gym can do 300 you millennial piece of crap why can't you man up and get ur squat to our level" it gets kinda annoying. I understand that it might seem crazy that I don't really want a 300-400 pound squat, but it's my choice, not anyone else's
    Last edited by Derem; 12-10-2016 at 04:24 AM.

Derem, you've given us no context for the 250. If you are trying to become a cyclist, cross country runner, soccer player, etc, it might be enough of a change from the other athletes. If you're trying to get to football, baseball, basketball, wrestling or something like that, you will benefit from getting much stronger than 250. You get what people are saying now?

250 is alright for winter off season never trained the squat before I got to get stronger before February tryouts. It's not alright if you plan to be competitive at high school football and maybe even get a college scholarship.

Quote Originally Posted by Murelli View Post
    Derem, you've given us no context for the 250. If you are trying to become a cyclist, cross country runner, soccer player, etc, it might be enough of a change from the other athletes. If you're trying to get to football, baseball, basketball, wrestling or something like that, you will benefit from getting much stronger than 250. You get what people are saying now?

250 is alright for winter off season never trained the squat before I got to get stronger before February tryouts. It's not alright if you plan to be competitive at high school football and maybe even get a college scholarship.
    listen, I understand what you are trying to say, but I go to school in Indonesia lol, a 250 squat isn't just enough, it's plenty. It's no where near as competitive as in America. people here mostly can't squat bodyweight.

Quote Originally Posted by Derem View Post
    listen, I understand what you are trying to say, but I go to school in Indonesia lol, a 250 squat isn't just enough, it's plenty. It's no where near as competitive as in America. people here mostly can't squat bodyweight.
    Look, I'm saying that if you're preparing for a sport, strength standards will be relative to the sport. It's true whether you're in Indonesia, Brasil, Japan, USA, Kazakhstan.

Quote Originally Posted by Murelli View Post
    Look, I'm saying that if you're preparing for a sport, strength standards will be relative to the sport. It's true whether you're in Indonesia, Brasil, Japan, USA, Kazakhstan.
    Yeah, I understand that. I'm just saying that the amount of strength I need to succeed is different from if I played in America.

I feel like I didn't state my goal clearly. I'm fine with getting a 300+ squat, it's not that I don't want to. But a 250 pound squat is fine for me for his upcoming tournament in February, because that puts me at a great place.

Since I can't squat this week, could I do pistols and increase weight to 97.5kg next time (or weighted pistols, I have some small weights I could use)

If someone who does a lot of vertical jump training has a vertical jump of 27 inches, you could say "oh he's jump isn't that good"

You don't say "his jump is trash" even though it Might be compared to an elite jumper. It's still technically a solid vertical jump

Don't mention the "j" word. Please, just don't.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    Don't mention the "j" word. Please, just don't.

Uhhhh why?

Uhhhh why?
    It attracts the wrong sort to the discussion. Just keep to squatting, benching, pressing and deadlifting and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by dmgetz View Post
    Well, it's all relative, right? 250 is more than most people, and almost all untrained teens, but most people don't do any strength training, so is that really the pertinent group for comparison? It's like spending a couple months learning the basics of the guitar and one or two rudimentary songs and then claiming you're good at the guitar because you're better than all the people who don't play.
    For the kid:
    There is no comparison here. You could say that a highschool football player who never gets played is better than me. But since i dont and never have played football there is no comparison. None. So you cant compare your 250# goal to anyone but those who lift. Ok, now that we are apples to apples, 250# is not that awesome. I squatted 330# for 5 Friday. Guess what--weak. I felt like that is crushing my soul but it was still weak. I used to workout with a guy who is 18 and got a 620# squat in a meet. Know what--not weak. Im almost 40 and wish I would have started this type of program when I was 15.

So, stop comparing yourself to people who dont lift.
    Begin to see you have some really good years to work with.
    You have the T to really make some good gains in the next couple years if you just get under the bar and stop creating ceilings. 250# is just another benchmark along the road to a good, strong lift. It is not the pinnacle.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    It attracts the wrong sort to the discussion. Just keep to squatting, benching, pressing and deadlifting and you'll be fine.
    so i havent been able to do it for a while and wont be able to untill at least mid next week. should i keep on doinf the 95kg? or go down to 90kg and gonup by 5 from there?

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast