starting strength gym

Thread: Phase 3-4 with more frequent deadlifts?

Default Phase 3-4 with more frequent deadlifts?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Deadlifts are my favorite lift, so I'm kind of sorry to see their frequency dropped as the phases progress. I'm still on LP (10 weeks in) phase 2 and haven't missed yet but I expect that will happen pretty soon (working weight 335 lbs squat, 412 lbs deadlift, 203 lbs power-clean last session). 46 years, 210 lbs. I've got edition 2 of the book, and Practical Programming. (and I've read them several times :-) )

How critical is moving to back-extensions and chin-ups at the expense of fewer DL and PC sessions for phase 3 vs going more directly to a phase-4 like program but with some rotation of light DL and PC days instead of the back-extensions and chin-ups?

Basically I just like doing deadlifts and would like to do them, but not at the expense of overall progress. And I want to get my plan sorted out before I need it so I'm not left wondering and making justifications to myself.

My goals are strength, mostly lower-body for athleticism and bike-sprinting.

Understand that the "phases" are not hard dates or increments of time. EVERYTHING is measured on your own individual timeline. I have my trainees perform Deadlifts on an LP for as long as possible as often as possible.

So I start with 3 days/week, then 2 days per week, then every other workout, etc, etc.

Back Ext are never "critical" They are a placeholder for deads until you have recovered enough to do them again