starting strength gym

Thread: Cycling the volume load on TM

Default Cycling the volume load on TM

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello everyone,

Do you think there is merit in cycling the volume day's load and rep range in the late stages of the Texas Method, when both the intensity day (cycling it between 5s and triples and singles and everything said in Practical Programming etc) and the volume day are very hard, even when you mantain the same VD load for several weeks?

For example, instead of maintaining the same 5x5 for 3 weeks and then attempting to add weight, do the following:

W1. 4x8
    W2. 5x5
    W3. 7x3
    W4. 4x8 + 2-5kg
    W5. 5x5 + 2-5kg
    W6. 7x3 + 2-5kg
    Etc.

I'll explain my thought process a little more in case somebody wants to chime in.

It seems to me that the prevalent line here states that after running the Texas Method (if you decide to do it in the first place) all the appropiate programs such as HLM, 531, etc. only train the main lifts heavy once per week. I'm wondering whether cycling not only the ID load but also the VD could be a way to unstuck the progression without decreasing the frecuency of heavy lifting, since recovery at least for me (male, 25) for the time being doesn't seem to be a problem.

I ask because my press progression has slowed down a lot and I'm bored of mantaining the same VD for months on end while hoping to add 2kg with every cycle I run on the ID. I think it would be more fun to have a chance to progress also on VD.

Any thoughts?

you might find this recent thread interesting

http://startingstrength.com/resource...days-reps.html

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    you might find this recent thread interesting

http://startingstrength.com/resource...days-reps.html
    Indeed I did.

I really like the 5x5, it's just that doing the same weight in VD for 6 weeks in a row is plain boring. Therefore I came up with that idea of the 4x8/5x5/7x3 rotation, which has the same average volume & intensity that 5x5s all the way.

I can't believe nobody has experimented with that...

Quote Originally Posted by El Rojo View Post
    Indeed I did.

I really like the 5x5, it's just that doing the same weight in VD for 6 weeks in a row is plain boring. Therefore I came up with that idea of the 4x8/5x5/7x3 rotation, which has the same average volume & intensity that 5x5s all the way.

I'm sure someone has, but they just haven't read this thread and responded.. I've seen 8x3 recommended by Andy (I think?).

Why are you using the same 5x5 weight for 6 weeks in a row?

Indeed I did.

If you go digging there's a few threads that talk about extending TM for late intermediates to a 2 week cycle like M 4x8, F 1x5, M 5x5, F 2x3 or something along those lines. Rotating volume day seems like something that would go good with a rotating intensity day, since it allows both days to progress at roughly the same rate. Whether you do a 2 or 3 week cycle would just depend on what progression you can keep up with consistently.

Manveer here's an example of what I meant:

W1. M 5x5 70kg F 1X5 80kg
    W2. M 5x5 70kg F 2x3 85kg
    W3. M 5x5 70kg F 5x1 90kg
    W4. M 5x5 70kg F 1x5 82,5kg
    W5. M 5x5 70kg F 2x3 87,5kg
    W6. M 5x5 72,5kg F 5x1 92,5kg

While progress is being made every ID, volume day remains stagnant and so does the lifter's morale.

The strategy I employed on my last cycle was microloading the VD to the extreme, most of the time I was adding only 0,5kg whereas in the ID (not cycling reps, simply "running it out") I usually increased by 1 or 1,5kg. But in my new gym I don't think I will be able to add that small of a weight, plus I think there has to be a better funnier way.

That's very interesting oshirok. Specially since that should allow to combine a 2 or 3 week cycle for the Press, with the normal weekly cycle for the squat and pulls. Just wondering, would you arrange the mesocycle so it tapers down or would you try to maintain similar volume every week simply altering the rep ranges?

starting strength coach development program
    Manveer here's an example of what I meant:

W1. M 5x5 70kg F 1X5 80kg
    W2. M 5x5 70kg F 2x3 85kg
    W3. M 5x5 70kg F 5x1 90kg
    W4. M 5x5 70kg F 1x5 82,5kg
    W5. M 5x5 70kg F 2x3 87,5kg
    W6. M 5x5 72,5kg F 5x1 92,5kg

While progress is being made every ID, volume day remains stagnant and so does the lifter's morale.

The strategy I employed on my last cycle was microloading the VD to the extreme, most of the time I was adding only 0,5kg whereas in the ID (not cycling reps, simply "running it out") I usually increased by 1 or 1,5kg. But in my new gym I don't think I will be able to add that small of a weight, plus I think there has to be a better funnier way.

That's very interesting oshirok. Specially since that should allow to combine a 2 or 3 week cycle for the Press, with the normal weekly cycle for the squat and pulls. Just wondering, would you arrange the mesocycle so it tapers down or would you try to maintain similar volume every week simply altering the rep ranges?
    It could be done either way. I think tapering the volume would allow you to manage fatigue better. The main benefit of rotating rep ranges is to expose yourself to a slightly different stimulus, especially if you've been doing exclusively 5x5 for volume for a while.

Also, I think most people find that eventually they need more volume than typical texas method for bench and press.