starting strength gym
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to choose the right program?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Then just pay your gym dues.

If that's how you feel about your posterior deltoid and your ability to be good at dips, I don't know why you asked the question. BTW, neither one of those has anything to do with using the most muscle mass over the local best effective range of motion to move the most weight, and thus get stronger.
    I can ditch the Dips, that would be fine. Having a strong Bench / Press, is always making me perform better at Dips anyway. But what about the rows? I read that everywhere. "Perform an equal amount of rows and presses for your shoulder health or your anterior delt will be stronger than your posterior delt and you will end up looking like Donkey Kong, plus pain!" Some even say to do twice as much rowing / pulling as pressing.

I don't want pain. Or is that just bull?

Quote Originally Posted by sid786 View Post
    I can ditch the Dips, that would be fine. Having a strong Bench / Press, is always making me perform better at Dips anyway. But what about the rows? I read that everywhere. "Perform an equal amount of rows and presses for your shoulder health or your anterior delt will be stronger than your posterior delt and you will end up looking like Donkey Kong, plus pain!" Some even say to do twice as much rowing / pulling as pressing.

I don't want pain. Or is that just bull?
    I think it's bull. It's not like a bent over barbell row works the posterior deltoid that much anyways. The posterior deltoid will get plenty strong with deadlifts and chins.

Alright, I'll just do the program then.

Thank you.

"Perform an equal amount of rows and presses for your shoulder health or your anterior delt will be stronger than your posterior delt and you will end up looking like Donkey Kong, plus pain!"
    I use to do just what you described above. "For every push, do a pull." This is bro science B.S. at best. The best thing I ever did for my shoulders was to DTFP, and by DTFP I mean bench and ohp (SS ohp, not a wide grip, behind the next, bodybuilder ohp) heavy on a 1-to-1 ratio.

Not only are my shoulders stronger than ever, my bench increased as well. Once you exhaust the novice program, there are many variations of intermediate programs that will allow for dips and other useful assistance exercises. When I was training for the last Starting Strength meet, one of my favorite assistance lifts for the press was heavily weighted dips (in the 8, 5, 3 reps range). I was using a 4 day TM split to prep for the meet.

The "so what" is run your novice LP, and save the assistance work until you are running an intermediate program.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    I think it's bull. It's not like a bent over barbell row works the posterior deltoid that much anyways. The posterior deltoid will get plenty strong with deadlifts and chins.

^^ Once again, Joe beat me to it...

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Franklin View Post
    ^^ Once again, Joe beat me to it...
    I've read the book, and the boards.

One last thing.
    Which phase should I start with?
    I guess phase 1 would be too much deadlifting already.

So ... Phase 2 or 3.
    My Power Clean is still very weak.

-->

Squat: 150 Kilograms
    Bench: 125 Kilograms
    Deadlift: 190 Kilograms
    Press: 70 Kilograms
    Power Clean: 70 Kilograms (just started ...)

And how should I estimate my 3x5 starting weight?

I might take a weight that I can move for 5 reps in an all-out set. But I would not be able to do that for another 2 sets.
    Or am I supposed to take a weight that is slightly less than that true 5RM weight?
    Last edited by sid786; 01-09-2017 at 07:13 PM.

And how should I estimate my 3x5 starting weight?

I might take a weight that I can move for 5 reps in an all-out set. But I would not be able to do that for another 2 sets.
    Or am I supposed to take a weight that is slightly less than that true 5RM weight?
    You are supposed to do the weight less than your 5RM. If you know your 5RM, take 10-15% off that (or may be more, to have time to get used to the program), and then add 2.5-5 kg every workout.
    It seems you have refused the idea of adding rows, but if it is still interesting, I thing the best way would be to simply alternate them with DL and PC, so that you do each movement once a week, and every workout you have pulling movement.
    If you want to implement lots of other stuff (dips, chinups etc.), then you may want to look towards something like GSLP (which is to me a derivative of SS).
    Last edited by Banned_Pavel; 01-10-2017 at 12:11 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    I found similar implementations of the SS Novice Program on the interwebz.

Onus Wunsler Program
    Practical Programming Novice Program
    Wichita Falls Novice Program

What's up with those?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast