starting strength gym
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to choose the right program?

Default How to choose the right program?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Guys,

I finally came to the conclusion that being strong is very important to me!
    Hence I'm looking for a routine that will get my numbers up in the long run.

I'm coming from a rather suboptimal history of "training programs". I did a short run of Starting Strength (substituted Power Cleans with Bent Over Rows of course) until I stalled in the Bench an in the Press. Since then I've been doing those bodybuilding bro splits, that you all love so much! That got me stronger somehow but it was not very time-efficient and it does not work anymore. I'm spinning my wheels like crazy. I'm in my 6th year of training and I barely move intermediate weights. That is why I am in desperate need of help. Especially because I'm planning to compete in a RAW Powerlifting meet this year.

Current numbers:
    Height: 173 cm
    Weight: 83 Kilograms
    Bodyfat: around 17%

1RMs
    Squat: 150 Kilograms
    Bench: 125 Kilograms
    Deadlift: 190 Kilograms
    Press: 70 Kilograms
    Power Clean: 70 Kilograms (just started ...)

Yes, I know, the ratios are completely retarded.

So, which program might be appropriate? I guess I'm 'too strong' for a linear progression like Starting Strength. I think that it may still work for my Squat and the Power Clean but that's it. How far did Starting Strength take you?

The Texas Method seems very appealing, but I'd like to incorporate Bent Over Rows, Dips and Chin Ups in addition to the 5 lifts above. Is that somehow possible?

Is there anything else, that you would suggest?

Thank you.

One is not "too strong" to run an LP; you run an LP out regardless of your strength. I got to a 330 squat on mine, some guys here get in the mid 400s. It has more to do with where you start stalling today (not 2 years ago), fail, try the same weight again, fail again, reset, (now incorporate) add a light day, keep eating and pushing...ok, now you drained your LP. Welcome to the Texas Method and life officially sucks now.

Do the program. Including gaining some weight.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Do the program. Including gaining some weight.
    Which one? SS or TM?

Quote Originally Posted by sid786 View Post
    Which one? SS or TM?
    "The Program" is the novice Starting Strength linear progression. Along with eating to a caloric surplus.

Milk the LP for everything it's got then switch to TM.

Thank you very much.

I know, it's a heavy case of YNDTP but is it possible to somehow add Bent Over Rows, Dips and Chin Ups? I'd like to be kinda strong in these. Especially my Chin Ups suck.

Edit: Do you guys have an Excel Spreadsheet for SS?
    Last edited by sid786; 01-09-2017 at 05:19 PM.

I have a notebook that I right everything down in. Why do you need excel, just add by 5.

Do the program, which includes chins. Dips and rows can be skipped. Plenty of time to incorporate them.

But I like being strong in Dips. And rows are primarily for shoulder health (eg Dysbalances), plus they make my posterior delt look good.

starting strength coach development program
    Then just pay your gym dues.

If that's how you feel about your posterior deltoid and your ability to be good at dips, I don't know why you asked the question. BTW, neither one of those has anything to do with using the most muscle mass over the local best effective range of motion to move the most weight, and thus get stronger.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast