starting strength gym

Thread: 4x5, 3x5 HLM Email next step

Default 4x5, 3x5 HLM Email next step

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Andy,

Male, 238 about 5'11

I'm using the HLM template you emailed out a couple months back (4x5, 2x5, 3x5). I failed to complete 4x5 at 415 on squat, 190 on press, and 1x5 at 430 on deadlift this week. I got 5-5-4 on Squat, and Press was difficult so I ended up doing 4x3, deadlift I only got 1 rep (I completed all reps the previous week, 5 or 2.5lbs lighter)

Last Successful week (M-W-F):

Heavy Squat: 4x5 @ 410
    Heavy Press: 4x5 @ 187.5
    Heavy Deadlift: 1x5 @ 425

Light Squat: 2x5 @ 325
    Bench: 4x5 @ 225
    Chins

Medium Squat: 3x5 @ 370
    Medium Press: 3x5 @ 170
    Medium Deadlift: 3x5 @ 370

What do you suggest as a next step? 1 heavy set with backoffs? Or drop to 3 rep sets?

I appreciate everything you do on this forum and on your website!

Thanks

If you want a full and detailed HLM program, just check out this: http://www.andybaker.com/product/garage-gym-warrior/

13 weeks and periodized to a peak. You can re-use multiple times. It cycles reps so you aren't just adding weight to 5s every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    If you want a full and detailed HLM program, just check out this: Garage Gym Warrior ? Andy Baker

13 weeks and periodized to a peak. You can re-use multiple times. It cycles reps so you aren't just adding weight to 5s every week.
    Hi Andy, i wanted to send you a message but your inbox was full. I am in a similar situation to the OP but had a question about the garage gym warrior as it says for lifters over 40. For someone younger (29) switching from adv novice to HLM, this would be good start?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    If you want a full and detailed HLM program, just check out this: Garage Gym Warrior ? Andy Baker

Hi Andy, i wanted to send you a message but your inbox was full. I am in a similar situation to the OP but had a question about the garage gym warrior as it says for lifters over 40. For someone younger (29) switching from adv novice to HLM, this would be good start?

Quote Originally Posted by davetooch View Post
    Yes. It can work for lifters of any age.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Andy, I just purchased it. I'm going to estimate my 1RMs off of my 4x5 weights, even though they're not true 5RMs and start tonight. I'm hoping that will be light enough so I don't burn out too quick.