starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Programming for College Football

Default Programming for College Football

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    After watching the BCS National Championship game I was pretty impressed with the size, speed, and strength of nearly every player on the field. Bo Scarborough, the Alabama running back, was of particular interest due to his incredible combination of the aforementioned assets. We have all heard Rip call out NCAA strength coaches on how they don't really "train" the athletes, but rather have them "perform" in the weight room. A quick Google search brought up many of the Div I strength and conditioning programs run by major football programs and almost all of them universally advocate for higher rep work with compound lifts and body part isolation. My question is this: if these programs are not doing things "right", as defined by the SS model of strength, how is it that these 19-22 year old guys squat 500lbs in-season (i.e. Derrick Henry) and maintain such low body fat levels (in the 10% range)? Is there something in the water down there in Tuscaloosa? Or are these guys just that freakish that no matter what program they're on, they can still move insane amounts of weight even if they're not "training"?

5 Offseason Training Mistakes That Are Keeping Your High School Athletes Slow, Small, and Weak Read this for some insight into my thoughts.

But yeah, genetics + a willingness to work very very hard, even if on an imperfect program.

. . . explains there are more than 1 million high school football players,
    6.5 percent of those players make NCAA programs,
    and 1.6 percent of the NCAA pool reaches the NFL.
    And consider Alabama, as one of the NCAA programs above, has several players drafted in the first few rounds of the draft.
    And a few of those players actually go on to start in the NFL in their rookie year . . . not just "make the team".

You are talking about a really select set of people.

Ridiculous.

Thank you for your help and insight! I guess when you take a step back from the whole scenario, it really does come down to these guys being genetic freaks with insane work ethics.

I am currently doing my secondary school teaching practicum in physical education and will be in charge of the weight training classes. I will most definitely be using your model for developing high school athletes as a basis for the course. Hopefully the students will be keen to get strong.

...and a little chemistry maybe?

IIRC - Clemson's strength program is based on the conjugate method. Just a little factoid I picked up when I went there 3 years ago. In fact there was some contention at the time that clemson's S&C coach should utilize a program more akin to LSU's.

Oops - Andy, I meant to add that I don't have any real proof of this. It was mentioned in an article floating around one of the clemson football forums a few years back. It could be baloney

Louie has had a HUGE impact on collegiate S&C. Mostly positive in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Very well written Andy. And great replies in the discussion also.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Louie has had a HUGE impact on collegiate S&C. Mostly positive in my opinion.
    Yuuuuggeeeeee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast