starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the general consensus of going to 5/3/1 after novice LP?

Default What's the general consensus of going to 5/3/1 after novice LP?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I bought Jim Wendlers 5/3/1 book. There are many aspects of 5/3/1 that looks like would be a good fit for me. Are there folks here that currently programming 5/3/1 and what are your thoughts?

One big difference I've noticed is with Squats. With 5/3/1 you would be squating just once per week compared to 3 days per week with say a LHM programming.

On a side note I really enjoy Jims writing and also his videos of lectures and interviews. Seems like a great guy.

Quote Originally Posted by JLB105 View Post
    I bought Jim Wendlers 5/3/1 book. There are many aspects of 5/3/1 that looks like would be a good fit for me. Are there folks here that currently programming 5/3/1 and what are your thoughts?

One big difference I've noticed is with Squats. With 5/3/1 you would be squating just once per week compared to 3 days per week with say a LHM programming.

On a side note I really enjoy Jims writing and also his videos of lectures and interviews. Seems like a great guy.
    not so much has to do with what to do after SS LP, but a general review of the program here: Better Than Before: A Review of Beyond 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler | PowerliftingToWin

It seems 5/3/1/D is sort of a monthly thing.
    Maybe something where week to week progress can be monitored and "titrated" would be better IMO, for anearly intermediate.

I would get Beyond 531 as well. To me, the original, If you follow it as written, has too little volume, too little time with a heavy-ish weight in your hands, and deloads are too frequent for the amount of work you're doing. Beyond 531 addresses these things and also suggests a variety of training options. The good thing about that is that it requires people to put some thought into their training while still not having to design an entire program for themselves.

Because of Wendlers popularity he could churn out a 531 for *fill in the blank* every year (and it seems like he did for a while) and people would buy it but I honestly think some of suggested program ideas in Beyond are quite solid.
    Last edited by Dag; 01-13-2017 at 07:29 AM.

OP you should look up Andys' 5/3/1 program basically you do sets across with just the top set and a lighter day. To answer your question yes 5/3/1 is viable. In fact i Absolutely love it.

Regarding squatting once per week - it is absolutely fine, provided the stress is sufficient such that between the squats and deadlifts, it takes ~ 1 week to recover. I've been squatting once per week for a few years, and have not noticed any detrimental effects. Only squatting once per week allows you to put more work on the deadlift. The only issue that I've experienced is that if you have to miss a session (say due to work / sickness / family issues / etc.), it becomes two weeks between squat sessions, and DOMS can be pretty significant. In this scenario, it is best to pinch your nose and jump right in, even if you know you'll be a little sore in a day or two. You want to be a stronger MFer, don't you?

If that was the scenario i would just add in some light squats on another day...not going to disrupt homeostasis but will prevent soreness and major detraining^

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    Regarding squatting once per week - it is absolutely fine, provided the stress is sufficient such that between the squats and deadlifts, it takes ~ 1 week to recover. I've been squatting once per week for a few years, and have not noticed any detrimental effects. Only squatting once per week allows you to put more work on the deadlift. The only issue that I've experienced is that if you have to miss a session (say due to work / sickness / family issues / etc.), it becomes two weeks between squat sessions, and DOMS can be pretty significant. In this scenario, it is best to pinch your nose and jump right in, even if you know you'll be a little sore in a day or two. You want to be a stronger MFer, don't you?
    Also, the Boring But Big 5x10 can be helpful. Do squats after deadlifts and do some sort of power clean progression after squats. It's all manageable.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    If that was the scenario i would just add in some light squats on another day...not going to disrupt homeostasis but will prevent soreness and major detraining^
    I wouldn't characterize the detraining as "major" over two weeks, especially for the squat. There will be some (hence the DOMS), but it certainly isn't as bad as the bench, press, or curl. I've found that strength for those lifts fall off more rapidly.

But yes, adding a light day of squatting isn't a bad recommendation, and can actually serve as a nice warmup on bench / press day.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Definitely look into the "beyond" templates. Boring But Big is a decent plan for hypertrophy and provides a decent bit of volume. The biggest concern with the simplistic approach to 5/3/1 is the lack of volume, but a decent bit of though can overcome that.
    Exactly. In Beyond Wendler offers a good option for more volume. It includes the addition of joker sets where after your last "plus" set you can do another set or few, depending on how you feel that day, with progressively heavier weights followed by 5x8-10 with 70%. These things add a significant amount of volume and intensity. The 5x5 with 80% you mentioned is also a terrific idea.

starting strength coach development program
    Agreed chebass
    Last edited by Eric Larousse; 01-13-2017 at 09:49 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast