starting strength gym

Thread: Chin/pull ups programming on TM

Default Chin/pull ups programming on TM

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Andy

This is a followup to http://startingstrength.com/resource...e-pullups.html

I have now switched to TM. My short-ish term goal is to make my bench and press catch up to my squat. They really suck.

Two questions for you:

1) Is one session of chins alternating with pull ups, per week, enough to drive progress on the presses? I'd like to do them only on recovery days.

2) In case it's OK, which of the following sounds best:

A) adding weight every week until it's no longer possible, then cycle reps like for ID lifts. Max rep bodyweight would be used at the restart of the cycle.

Or B) do 2 top sets weighted and 1 back-off set max rep bodyweight every week.

Cheers!

I don't know how much chin ups actually drive presses to be honest. I press a lot, but I'm mediocre at chins. If you want to get better just do 1x/week weighted. Maybe cycling between sets of 2-3 and sets of 5-6. And then another day of the week doing BW for reps. For the heavy weighted day we almost always do chin ups. For the BW day we do alterations between chins and pull ups. I've been doing this with my swimmers for years. Works pretty good for most

I just treat my chins like another movement like press and bench. I add the additional weight to my body weight to get the effective training weight for the purposes of working out 90% 5RM, etc on TM. I do it straight after my bench press. Did a 130lbs + 242lbs bodyweight chin the other day, so I reckon it works pretty well.

Thank you so much Andy. I can't believe you found the time to reply even though you just posted a new blog. Do you ever sleep?

I don't feel able to do chins more than once a week on TM. But I don't plan to stay on TM for very long. So I'll just do my best with once a week until I switch to HLM, and then I will take chins more seriouslier.