starting strength gym

Thread: How to cycle lighter lifts like OHP when using HLM?

Default How to cycle lighter lifts like OHP when using HLM?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Andy,

So I just transitioned from linear to HLM. I'm older so I don't think something like Texas is suitable for me.

I read both the PP book and your articles on HLM on your blog. I selected Power Snatches for my light day back, and incline for my medium day chest. That being said, I just failed my 3x5 OHP on linear programming. I've reset it twice on Linear. So last time I failed at 56kg. I reset to 50kg and worked up 1kg at a time to 60kg which I just failed. (3 sessions in a row at 3x4)

So on light day I have my programming reset to 55kg on OHP and I'm going to try and work past 60. From what I read though this might not get me much more. I'm a bit confused on how to cycle this. I see how HLM cycles squats (3 days) but for something like OHP that is not getting any other work during the week, I'm not sure what to do. Should I do something like just progress up and work on 3x4 then triples, then heavy doubles, then reset? Then maybe work on more volume after that reset? like 5x5? I guess what I'm asking is am I supposed to be cycling exercises WITHIN the HLM weekly cycle itself?

Thanks for your time.

If you want to prioritize OHP in HLM then I'd do it on Monday and Friday. Monday Heavy, Friday at about a 5-10% reduction in load. On Wednesday you can Bench or do a combo of Bench and Incline. Like 3x Bench and then 2x Incline. Or just Bench. Once OHP gets moving again you can start doing Inclines on your Med Day. Or even a 2 week cycle like this:

Mon: Press
    Wed: Bench
    Fri: Press

Mon: Bench
    Wed: Press
    Fri: Incline