starting strength gym

Thread: Garage Gym Warrior for younger folks ?

Default Garage Gym Warrior for younger folks ?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Andy,

Thank you very much for your contribution here.

I follow the garage gym warrior ebook and I really like its idea but I feel a bit detrained generally.

I understand its philosophy is less aggressive than texas method approaches where I used to be but I was wondering if this can be applied for younger ages and higher percentages can be used at least for the heavy days.

Just asking no intention to judge your expertise here.

Regards.

Does your heavy day feel easy?

The GGW program can work for any intermediate regardless of age. It's a classic Heavy-Light-Medium system.

Yes, I feel I am not getting enough work. I used to squat 400 for fives on my volume days before so now putting much lower weight on my heavy days let's say and I feel flat and soft kind of.

Any suggestion ? Would you make heavy day adjustments maybe ?

I am 32, no PL aspirations, maybe strongman sometime but not at the moment.

Thanks so much

You just need to go heavier and harder on volume days. In the GGW program I offer percentages as a starting point, but if you have some recent training data that conflicts heavily with the percentages, go with your recent data. Up the workload on heavy day and then create your 10-20% offsets for your light and medium days.

Thanks Andy, one more thing please would you add CGBP as assistance in heavy days to support the Press or maybe its better to have it as a main lift in medium day instead of the Press ? My Press is weak (210 single for 230 bw) and maybe need some variety in pressing to keep it going.

I like either:

Heavy - Bench
    Light - Press
    Med - CG Bench

OR

Mon - Press
    Wed - Bench + CG Back offs
    Fri - Press

Hi Andy,

For people running the GGW program for whom recovery is not too much of a problem (I'm in my early 30's like the OP), would it be viable to leave out the first 3 week mini-cycle? So run it as a 9-10 week program (perhaps even leaving out the penultimate week de-load)?

I'm trying to think of a solution to the OP's query whilst still leaving the weight selection in the hands of the program as written.

cheers,

Peter

Just finished first run of GGW on a cut. 30 y/o male. Lost 5% bodyweight, gained 7.5% on conservative max squat and 5% on deadlift. Thanks, Andy.

I will take the second option. Thanks Andy I will give it a try, I think your hlm articles are gold for the mortal ones.

starting strength coach development program
    [QUOTE=pbetros;1486727]Hi Andy,

For people running the GGW program for whom recovery is not too much of a problem (I'm in my early 30's like the OP), would it be viable to leave out the first 3 week mini cycle

Yeah you could.