starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to program the Overhead squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Not "programming" per se . . . but what has helped me recently:

Severe shoulder mobility:

I've been doing clean grip overhead squats . . . . with the aim to lean forward, while keeping the bar behind the head.
    To actually not stay super upright. You'll see a lot of people doing these on the interwebs . . .but usually super upright.
    Its impressive (thoracic extension; ankle dorsiflexion; shoulder mobility; etc)
    But I think that's wrong, in the sense when the bar gets heavy, you are going to lean forward a little more (a lot in some cases).

I'm not saying you have to do this (below) , but the lesson I've learned is: my shoulders are more mobile now.
    I just pop right up from a regular snatch grip OHS (snatch recovery), without even thinking about it.

I keep a broomstick in the living room, and every now and then start doing dislocates . . .moving the grip in closer and closer.
    While I stand around at my boy's practice . . . . I do dislocates w/ a PVC pipe.

Also, I have started doing BTN presses in Snatch (aka Sots press in SN).

This has all done more for my overhead squat than I would imagine any "tweaks" or hacks in programming would.

Thought I'd share.

Hi MBasic,

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    Also, I have started doing BTN presses in Snatch (aka Sots press in SN).
    Those scare me a bit to be honest.
    But I could give narrow(er) grip OHS a try.

Many thanks for sharing.

IPB

I'll add my agreement to triples instead of sets of five. I've been doing them for the last few weeks as one of my accessory squats, and sets of five turn into more of a shoulder fatigue issue than anything else.

But now that I'm past what I can consistently power snatch (roughly 100kg), I'm trying to work out the best way of getting the dang thing into position to start with. So I may actually start doing BTN snatch-grip jerks to start the set. Though that would mean I'd have to bring the squat stand over to the platform, and I'm lazy...

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    But now that I'm past what I can consistently power snatch (roughly 100kg), I'm trying to work out the best way of getting the dang thing into position to start with. So I may actually start doing BTN snatch-grip jerks to start the set. Though that would mean I'd have to bring the squat stand over to the platform, and I'm lazy...
    I'm still doing 5's for Overhead squat (clean grip OHS).
    . . . was thinking about this: getting into position .
    IF it ever becomes real heavy to where I have to BTN push press/jerk in from the rack.
    I don't really want to something that's "maximal" right before I do something else so difficult.
    I'm not there yet, but hopefully soon.

I guess you start from the bottom with some jerk stands or something:
    (doing the math on this, I guess this is why he does/did it that way . . .if you think about it . . . well two reasons).

Last edited by MBasic; 06-05-2017 at 04:29 AM.

I'll find out this afternoon if last week's hip abductor strain will allow me to squat heavy or not today. If not, I'll likely do some OH Squats at 135# since I have to squat light. In that case, I'll just get it up with a BTN jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by poser View Post
    I'll just get it up with a BTN jerk.
    #startinglength

starting strength coach development program
    Been doing some OH Squats regularly the last 2 weeks as I can't squat Heavy it's a pretty fun movement, but going heavy requires too much logistics.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12