starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blackout!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Coalminecanary View Post
    LP since October (reset following back injury in August). Squat went from 75# in mid October to 235# today (was 185# pre injury). Weight went from 206 to 219 in same period. I'm about 6'1, 19% bf. Rest is 5:30 between sets. No de loads, etc. yet, but the last two workouts (225, 230) were hella tough.

Anyway, squats today. Got the first set done, last rep was about 9.999999/10 RPE. Rested 6 minutes. At the top of the 3rd rep of the 2nd set, the darkness closed in and I almost blacked out. Just got the weight back on the pins. Scary! I reloaded to 90% and got the last set of 5 in after a 6 min rest.

Thoughts? Time to do a weight reset, or maybe one top set and two 90% sets? Maybe time to add a tiny bit of conditioning? Longer rest?
    How much do you weigh? Conditioning, program diddling, and resets are not the answers here.

Quote Originally Posted by greywar View Post
    How much do you weigh? Conditioning, program diddling, and resets are not the answers here.
    It's in the post although not perfectly clear. 219.

I'm not talking too much change, just the late novice adjustments that are part of the program as written.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    Nope, that's definitely not it.
    Help me sensei. Here's my breathing routine:

Top of squat. Full breath in. Not stretching out my abdomen, just a full comfortable breath. Brace hard, as if I'm pulling my belly in and down, and pulling my obliques in towards my belly button. Hold it.

Down, holding it hard. Harder, really, as I go, and as I go back up. Breathe out at the top. Take a breath or two. Repeat for next rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Dag View Post
    It's probably your breathing, yeah, but it's not from taking too much air. It happens. Don't sweat it but make sure you're bracing correctly. It's not a good workout unless you sweat, bleed, and see spots, lol.
    Got all those! Now I just need to see the white buffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by Coalminecanary View Post
    Help me sensei. Here's my breathing routine:

Top of squat. Full breath in. Not stretching out my abdomen, just a full comfortable breath. Brace hard, as if I'm pulling my belly in and down, and pulling my obliques in towards my belly button. Hold it.

Down, holding it hard. Harder, really, as I go, and as I go back up. Breathe out at the top. Take a breath or two. Repeat for next rep.
    Sounds about right. I experienced this almost-blacking-out phenomenon myself once or twice, and all I really needed to do was just sit down for a minute or two. Have you ever wrestled or done Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu? It's like being choked out.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    Sounds about right. I experienced this almost-blacking-out phenomenon myself once or twice, and all I really needed to do was just sit down for a minute or two. Have you ever wrestled or done Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu? It's like being choked out.
    Yes to everything. Exactly like that.

When I deloaded to 90% to get the last set in, it didn't happen. Which made me question whether I needed to make a program/diet/something adjustment.

It's program related. I'm 90% sure. You could try a running start reset. Deload to 80% and go for max reps on the last set of five. When things start getting heavy to the point where you're failing reps its never helped me to try to push through by hitting the same weight again and again. Keep the effort just as high but vary the stimulus. Like higher reps, more volume, more/less frequency...

Quote Originally Posted by TrainThatCanFly View Post
    It's program related. I'm 90% sure. You could try a running start reset. Deload to 80% and go for max reps on the last set of five. When things start getting heavy to the point where you're failing reps its never helped me to try to push through by hitting the same weight again and again. Keep the effort just as high but vary the stimulus. Like higher reps, more volume, more/less frequency...
    Explain to me how blacking out can be program related?

The only time I came close to blacking out was when I was doing RFL while trying to run an LP.

blood sugar, blood pressure, or holding your breath too long

thats where I'd put my $

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugaaz View Post
    Explain to me how blacking out can be program related?

The only time I came close to blacking out was doing RFL while trying to run an LP.
    I may have missed the point of the thread but I stand by what I said. A 220 pound guy should be blasting past 235 and he probably would be with some variation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast