starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why not press twice every week?

reygunz Guest

Default Why not press twice every week?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm still reading the books, and I googled this question without finding any answers. Forgive me if this question has already been answered.

I think most can agree that pressing is the ultimate test of upper body strength. I believe its been said that the bench is a great assistance to the press, whereas the press does not transfer so much to the bench. That being said, why does the program alternate the press and bench every workout? Why not press every Monday and Friday, and bench every Wednesday? Would that be just too much volume on the press?

Getting your bench up faster will help get your press up faster. So in a way, when you train the bench you are training for the press as well. Both lifts need to go up for a novice. As an intermediate you might choose to specialize in one or the other.

I've had similar questions about benching/pressing each twice a week. I've just tapped out my LP on bench and press and want to add a little more volume as I move into more intermediate programming. I want to stick with a 3-day schedule so I'm thinking of this breakdown:

Mon: Bench heavy
    Wed: Press and Bench light-to-medium
    Fri: Press heavy

Does this seem like a productive way to go about it? Any other suggestions for how to move into intermediate programming on a 3-day schedule?

I'm also thinking of cycling through 3x3, 3x7, and 3x5 rep schemes on the heavy days. I've stalled at only working 3x5. Is there a better way?

I really like focus on one or the other. It makes programming easier. Do you have a preference?

Not a strong preference. If I had to choose, then I guess bench for aesthetic/vanity reasons. But I guess the primary goal is to get all around strong.

You'll still get strong all around and you don't have to keep the same priority forever. So I'd go volume bench on Monday, press on Wednesday (for moderate volume like 3x5) and intensity bench on Friday (singles across, doubles, triples, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    Not a strong preference. If I had to choose, then I guess bench for aesthetic/vanity reasons. But I guess the primary goal is to get all around strong.
    I found prioritizing the OHP is the best thing since sliced bread.
    I totally agree what Andy said in regard as a novice and bench press, there's more value there in the short term.

Aesthetic wise? would rather have really wide, cannon ball shoulders than big manboobs . . .even if 100% muscle boobs.
    Bigger shoulders accentuate V-taper more.
    I guess it depend how you are built

I believe a good OHP with proper form and lock out works all three head of the delt . . . just not anterior.
    OHP works the traps a ton as well and upper back as well.

reygunz Guest

Thanks Andy!

So I have an unrelated question. I am still a novice, but I realize now that given my current circumstances, I cannot run the program. I just don't have enough control of my food in order to gain a lot of weight. I'd love to add 50+ lbs to my squat, and I'd love to add 30 lbs to my frame (I'm 5'5" and 150 lbs currently), but this just isn't currently doable. Do you have a program recommendation for someone who wants to be stronger without gaining weight? I was thinking about 5/3/1 for beginners, but Jim even eludes that you need to eat a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    I found pressing twice per week made me look bigger for some reason, shoulders, traps, arms everything

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by reygunz View Post
    Thanks Andy!

So I have an unrelated question. I am still a novice, but I realize now that given my current circumstances, I cannot run the program. I just don't have enough control of my food in order to gain a lot of weight. I'd love to add 50+ lbs to my squat, and I'd love to add 30 lbs to my frame (I'm 5'5" and 150 lbs currently), but this just isn't currently doable. Do you have a program recommendation for someone who wants to be stronger without gaining weight? I was thinking about 5/3/1 for beginners, but Jim even eludes that you need to eat a lot.
    You need to eat a lot on any barbell program. There is no end run around food. Get organized and get it together. I actually managed to train and eat while I was overseas in Iraq in the shit storm of 2004. I drank protein shakes my wife mailed me and ate about 4 MREs per day. I trained in a 120 degree tent and spent most days patrolling the most dangerous city in the world trying not to get shot or blown up. It can be done.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast