starting strength gym

Thread: Squat possible about to stall?

Default Squat possible about to stall?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm new to the SS training and I started in January so I have been going at it for almost 2 months. Tuesdays are my Heavy days for squats and last nights work out consisted of the following:

45x5x2
    90x5
    110x3
    135x2
    165x5x3
    135 x 5 drop set just to work on form. (Normally do not do this)

The work sets I really struggled through. I didn't miss any reps but they were really ugly form wise. I have been doing 20 lb jumps every week. I was thinking of doing only a 10lb jump next week, but I do not know if that's a good idea since I struggled so much last night with 165. I do light squats (80% of heavy work set weight) on Thursdays and (90% of heavy work set) on Sundays. Same reps and sets on the 3 days I do squats.

How should I proceed? Stay at 165 another week and maybe just bump up the warm up sets so it is not such a big jump when I start work sets?

something like this?
    45x5x2
    100x5
    120x3
    145x2
    165x5x3

Thank You for your help

10-20 lb jumps are only used when form is dialed in. Get your form fixed and then use 5 lb jumps.

Thank you..Rip was at the gym and really helped me correct my form issues Thursday night. I was not arching my lower back at all when I was squatting and with my stiff shoulders it was a formula for failure...He should me how to engage my lower back and I'm working on stretches to get the bar in proper position for low bar squats. I felt good knowing it was a form issue more than a weight issue.

I was wondering how anyone who lived in Wichita Falls could have a form issue? :-) Glad you got things worked out

LOL..I'm a slow learner