starting strength gym

Thread: Pre-Geezer Transition from Novice to Intermediate

Default Pre-Geezer Transition from Novice to Intermediate

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    In Chapter 24 of TBP, 'HLM and Split Programs', there is a section on Progression on the HLM system. Three main options are laid out: Running out the heavy day, Basic cycling routine, and Using a rep progression. While not explicitly stated, it seems that the first step is to run out the heavy day, following the template given. Is that a generally accepted recommendation or would one have just as much success and progress going directly to the cycling routine? I'm just about to finish my second week on the Basic cycling routine, so not enough time to say if it's really working, although I feel good so far. My transition into HLM was not textbook either, as outlined in TBP. I was just starting a heavy-light intermediate program in November when I tore an adductor at the end of the month. I went through the Starr protocol followed by an LP, getting close to where I was pre-injury. Just when I felt I was exhausting my LP, the very informative book came out and I decided to try the basic cycling routine to continue my progress. I'm still relatively new to intermediate programming so I'm trying to get a feel for how others might have set their programs up. If you're a younger geezer and have transitioned from novice to intermediate, have you gone through the transition phase, the running out the heavy day phase and then on to a cycling phase or did you take some other path?

I know the Texas Method is covered in detail in the book, but at age 55, I just can't see putting myself through all that volume work.

Thanks.

-RJP

I can't speak to the programming laid out in BP as I haven't bought the book yet, but as a 53-year-old I am currently on the 8th monthly cycle of Wendler's 531 program and it's working out pretty well for me. Doing the 4-day program; each lift once per week, with weight increases monthly (and one week of deload). I'm in no hurry and 120 lb increase in DL and squats in a year (given no stalling) is ok with me. Having no issues with recovery. Good luck!

You should run it out at least once so that you have a good idea what you can handle at the given rep ranges when you do start cycling reps.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    You should run it out at least once so that you have a good idea what you can handle at the given rep ranges when you do start cycling reps.
    If I do run it out once, where do I start the cycling phase? In the book, Example 24-15 starts at 275 x 5 x 4 and ends at 350 x 1 x 4. Where would the next phase start? I wouldn't think it would be 350 x 5 x 4. Maybe 285? 300? When running it out, how do you decide when to reduce the number of reps? Do you actually go until you fail a rep or do you decide ok, I won't be able to do another rep, or do you decide that the previous workout was hard enough that you'll reduce the number of reps in the next workout?

Because I didn't see myself doing TM, I didn't pay close attention to that chapter when I first went through the book. I went back and looked at it a bit closer and in the Modifications of TM section, Running It Out is described, followed by Rotating Rep Ranges. Interestingly, the first sentence of the Rotating Rep Ranges section is "This option is usually more effective than running it out." I don't know if that also applies to the HLM template, though.

Lots to learn here, lots of information, lots of options. Thanks for input.

-RJP

Heres the deal.....

You start off at a given range... lets say 5s for example. Lets say you start at 420x5. Each week you would add 5 pounds to a set of five. At that point you want to switch to either a set of 4 or 3 before you think you will fail a set of 5. IOW you dont want to fail a set or have it be an all out max effort 5 in your final set of 5. After you switch to 3s or 4s you just follow the same protocol all the way down to a heavish single but not really a max effort single. You wont be able to express max effort at the very end of the cycle anyways(this is in the book)

At this point you can either go back to 5s where exactly where you left off at 5s your first cycle(5 pounds heavier)and run it through again with heavier weights OR upu can cycle say 5s,3s and 1s at 5 pounds heavier where you left off in the original cycle.

Dont make the mistake of trying to base it off of a 1RM or will will inevitably start failing reps.

Hope this helps

And yes the cycling and running it out applies to every intermediate program in the book.
    Last edited by Eric Larousse; 02-18-2017 at 02:19 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Eric,

Thanks for the additional clarifications. I think it's starting to come together for me now. As I wrote in my log (It's supposed to feel heavy), I just completed two weeks of the basic cycling routine:

Week 1 Heavy: Squat 335 x 5 x 3, Bench 175 x 5 x 3 (w back offs), DL 415 x 5
    Week 2 Heavy: Squat 345 x 3 x 3, Bench 180 x 3 x 3 (w back offs), DL 430 x 3

I was thinking on Monday, my next heavy day, if I was following the cycling routine, I would do Squat 365 x 1 x 3, Bench 185 x 1 x 3, DL 440 x 1, which, honestly, seems a bit aggressive and optimistic, even though I didn't have any trouble with any of the workouts. If I was to follow your and and the book's advice, I should start running it out on Monday with something like:

Squat 340 x 5 x 3 or 4
    Bench 180 x 5 x 3 or 4 (+ back offs?)
    DL 420 X 5

Which seems reasonable to me.
    The light and medium days would still follow the cycling routine, as far as I can tell, with modifications depending on how I feel during the week and how the heavy days go, as described in the BP book. Each subsequent heavy day, Squats would go up by 5 lbs, DL by 5 or 10, Bench by 5 or 2.5, with sets and reps modified as time goes on as described by you and the book. Right now I'm doing squats, OHP and chins on the light days, squats, bench and LTE on medium days.

Thanks again for the input.