starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chins; reps vs adding weight

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliax View Post
    Well thats what im saying, unless you're 100% certain that you won't dive bomb because of failure/fatigue then I wouldnt do them weighted. Personnaly, i program them at the end of the workout after press or deadlift (like most people do i assume). So energy level can be low and my form can suffer. In that situation, if you do them weighted, I think its just a matter of time before you injure yourself badly. As for the wear and tear on high rep sets, if you dont cause impingement then your body should regen itself just fine.
    Then don't dive bomb. Concentric failure happens before eccentric does, so, you'll fail the up part of the chin and then safely lower yourself down and stop the set. It's not like getting stapled when you fail a squat.

Well the "safely lower yourself" part is where I dont trust myself to do it right every time, especially at end of the workout when i'm pretty much exhausted. But to me its not just a matter of fatigue, i think the risk of injury is higher on weighted failed chins/dips then failed squat/deadlift/press. And the injury that will occur on chins/dips will be at the shoulder joint which seems to never really heal up fully once you fuck them up. So not worth the risk imo. Im no expert so I guess this is all subjective though.
    Last edited by Oliax; 02-24-2017 at 12:40 PM.

Well the "safely lower yourself" part is where I dont trust myself to do it right every time, especially at end of the workout when i'm pretty much exhausted. But to me its not just a matter of fatigue, i think the risk of injury is higher on weighted failed chins/dips then failed squat/deadlift/press. And the injury that will occur on chins/dips will be at the shoulder joint which seems to never really heal up fully once you fuck them up. So not worth the risk imo. Im no expert so I guess this is all subjective though.
    This means I can conclude that you do not bench press.

Quote Originally Posted by Murelli View Post
    This means I can conclude that you do not bench press.
    haha i do bench, but i dont setup as far down as Rip suggest to with the eyes under the bar. You can't really unrack by yourself in that position, you need a spotter. So since i bench without a spotter, i setup with head way behind the rack, the moment arm is shorter to get the bar in position and the bar cant fall on my neck due to the rack. The injury that could occur in that position on a failed rep would be on the ribcage/belly not the shoulder joint. I also dont bench when im already very fatigued and i don't go very heavy if i'm not in a power rack with safety bars. I know there is a risk of injury in everything you do, i just dont find the risk and the injured area to be acceptable in weighted dips/chins.
    Last edited by Oliax; 02-24-2017 at 03:12 PM.

haha i do bench, but i dont setup as far down as Rip suggest to with the eyes under the bar. You can't really unrack by yourself in that position, you need a spotter. So since i bench without a spotter, i setup with head way behind the rack, the moment arm is shorter to get the bar in position and the bar cant fall on my neck due to the rack. The injury that could occur in that position on a failed rep would be on the ribcage/belly not the shoulder joint. I also dont bench when im already very fatigued and i don't go very heavy if i'm not in a power rack with safety bars. I know there is a risk of injury in everything you do, i just dont find the risk and the injured area to be acceptable in weighted dips/chins.
    Benching alone with no spotter or pins is competing for a Darwin award. Are you trolling? You are seriously more worried about injuring yourself from lowering yourself too quickly during chins more than you're worried about benching without spotters or safeties? If the answer to this is yes, do you think people should value your opinion on safety?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugaaz View Post
    Benching alone with no spotter or pins is competing for a Darwin award. Are you trolling? You are seriously more worried about injuring yourself from lowering yourself too quickly during chins more than you're worried about benching without spotters or safeties? If the answer to this is yes, do you think people should value your opinion on safety?
    Well, barring the bar falling on your face, unless your working weights are very impressive for a novice, I'd say the Darwin award itself (as in dying) is not much of a possibility. Not that I disagree with your sentiment, just find it slightly hyperbolic. Bench safety becomes progressively more important the stronger your bench gets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12