starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: absolute weakest bench you've seen needing intermediate programming?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag View Post
    You're not alone. I should have taken up just about anything but lifting but my dumb ass decided to take up a hobby I suck at. I must really love it because I've been doing it and sucking at it for a long time and I'll keep doing it until I'm dead or so broken down that I literally can't.
    That feel. I know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    If you want to switch to intermediate programming, switch to intermediate programming. There is no hard and fast requirement to do the program exactly as written. A great many people have obtained decent success by doing the program as written, but that doesn't exactly mean it is the best FOR YOU to progress.

There are a couple other things which I would highly recommend addressing.

1. Be positive about what you CAN do. You can do 155x5, which is pretty decent for recently starting. There is ALWAYS someone stronger than you are, so don't compare yourself and put yourself down unnecessarily. And here's the rub - EVERYONE starts with a low bench. Benching three wheels for reps is great, but start with one. You'll add plates with time.

2. Safeties. What is your physical bench setup? Do you have safeties? If you don't have safeties, do you have a reliable spotter? Or are you just benching on a plain bench in a globo gym? I ask because your issue may very likely be a mental one. Knowing that you can fail a bench press SAFELY is a huge mental relief. I'm not saying that practicing failure is a good idea (practice failing and you'll become very adept at failing), but knowing without any doubt that you won't DIE is a pretty reassuring thing. Your options include a bench with safeties, benching in the power rack, or getting safety stands. If anyone gripes about benching in the power rack, kindly invite them to kiss your ass.

If you can't bench safely, you shouldn't bench. PERIOD. Leave the suicide grip, clips-on-bar, no-spotter benching to gym assholes. At least you'll walk home at the end of the day.

3. Change your set & rep scheme. Maybe instead of 3x5 do 5x3. If you can consistently get three reps, but struggle with five, do what you can. The volume is the same, and you might have better form if you only have to do a triple instead of five.

4. Microloading. Maybe try increments of 2.5lbs or even 1lb instead of 5lbs. Dan Miller (on this forum) sells microweights, or you can buy them elsewhere online, or even just use washers from McMaster-Carr. An increase is an increase, even if it is one pound. If you were to increase by one pound per session, that is 2-3 pounds per week. Not too shabby.

Hope these help.

ian
    I don't really think any of these apply to me. I'm not just starting. I've been benching for two years, regularly hit failure (it's very easy to just sit up with the weight, it's not scary), and already microload. Over this time frame I've had no issue rapidly increasing my squats and deadlifts to the threes and fours. I think it's time for intermediate programming.

Quote Originally Posted by Dag View Post
    You're not alone. I should have taken up just about anything but lifting but my dumb ass decided to take up a hobby I suck at. I must really love it because I've been doing it and sucking at it for a long time and I'll keep doing it until I'm dead or so broken down that I literally can't.
    I was unaware I had a twin brother. Why do people think I'm 'strong' is beyond me. Look like I might be mid-thirties by some comments, recover like mid-sixties by demonstrative logs. I'll just keep trying to suck less at it, I guess.

If you want to switch to intermediate programming, switch to intermediate programming. There is no hard and fast requirement to do the program exactly as written. A great many people have obtained decent success by doing the program as written, but that doesn't exactly mean it is the best FOR YOU to progress.

There are a couple other things which I would highly recommend addressing.

1. Be positive about what you CAN do. You can do 155x5, which is pretty decent for recently starting. There is ALWAYS someone stronger than you are, so don't compare yourself and put yourself down unnecessarily. And here's the rub - EVERYONE starts with a low bench. Benching three wheels for reps is great, but start with one. You'll add plates with time.

2. Safeties. What is your physical bench setup? Do you have safeties? If you don't have safeties, do you have a reliable spotter? Or are you just benching on a plain bench in a globo gym? I ask because your issue may very likely be a mental one. Knowing that you can fail a bench press SAFELY is a huge mental relief. I'm not saying that practicing failure is a good idea (practice failing and you'll become very adept at failing), but knowing without any doubt that you won't DIE is a pretty reassuring thing. Your options include a bench with safeties, benching in the power rack, or getting safety stands. If anyone gripes about benching in the power rack, kindly invite them to kiss your ass.

If you can't bench safely, you shouldn't bench. PERIOD. Leave the suicide grip, clips-on-bar, no-spotter benching to gym assholes. At least you'll walk home at the end of the day.

3. Change your set & rep scheme. Maybe instead of 3x5 do 5x3. If you can consistently get three reps, but struggle with five, do what you can. The volume is the same, and you might have better form if you only have to do a triple instead of five.

4. Microloading. Maybe try increments of 2.5lbs or even 1lb instead of 5lbs. Dan Miller (on this forum) sells microweights, or you can buy them elsewhere online, or even just use washers from McMaster-Carr. An increase is an increase, even if it is one pound. If you were to increase by one pound per session, that is 2-3 pounds per week. Not too shabby.

Hope these help.

ian
    Sorry, I realize I didn't make this very clear in the OP. My squat is at 315x5 (beltless) and my deadlift is over 400 for singles also beltless (easily pulled 405, haven't tested higher). So it's not like I don't know how to recover and add weight to the bar. But my bench press will not go up even with micro loading.

There is still a pretty big list of things you can try.

1. Changing the rep & set scheme. If you are consistent, you can make anything in the 70%+ range work. Use Prilepin's chart for guidance on how much to use. You can even do a few sets of 8-12, or to "failure" (gasp!). If you are consistent, and focus on adding one or two reps each session, with increases once you hit a certain number of reps, your bench press will increase.
    2. Add some volume via backoff sets. 80% of whatever your working weight for the day works nicely.
    3. Do bench press first. You'll still be able to get your squats in. Or put it on its own day altogether. There isn't anything wrong with doing 10,000lb total volume on the bench press, or ending a session without being able to do another rep at all.
    4. Add volume by altering the mechanics. Do a couple of backoff sets (as many reps as you can do) using a wide grip. Do the same with a narrow grip. Try it without leg drive, or without an arch (do these as assistance exercises).
    5. Add a useful assistance exercise, such as dips.
    6. Practice adding a pause. If you get to the point where you can pause reps, your T&G bench will go up.
    Last edited by Chebass88; 02-28-2017 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Wasn't polite the first time.

I would really take a very close look at form. Personally, I'm not very much beyond where you are, but I was struggling around the 150lb area. Part of it was recovery, obviously not your issue. The other part was form. Basically, I was not properly arching my back and using my legs to help the push. This made a big difference. Once I started doing this, the weights started to progress. Anytime I start to struggle, it is usually poor technique, mainly back and legs. Also, sometimes the standard 3x5 isn't enough volume. It may require more volune to get things moving again too.

If you have access to an SSC, it would be beneficial to have a session. Otherwise, try the Q&A forum.

Quote Originally Posted by schmatt View Post
    I would really take a very close look at form. Personally, I'm not very much beyond where you are, but I was struggling around the 150lb area. Part of it was recovery, obviously not your issue. The other part was form. Basically, I was not properly arching my back and using my legs to help the push. This made a big difference. Once I started doing this, the weights started to progress. Anytime I start to struggle, it is usually poor technique, mainly back and legs. Also, sometimes the standard 3x5 isn't enough volume. It may require more volune to get things moving again too.

If you have access to an SSC, it would be beneficial to have a session. Otherwise, try the Q&A forum.
    Okay I will post a video to the forum when I bench again. Thanks!

There is still a pretty big list of things you can try.

1. Changing the rep & set scheme. If you are consistent, you can make anything in the 70%+ range work. Use Prilepin's chart for guidance on how much to use. You can even do a few sets of 8-12, or to "failure" (gasp!). If you are consistent, and focus on adding one or two reps each session, with increases once you hit a certain number of reps, your bench press will increase.
    2. Add some volume via backoff sets. 80% of whatever your working weight for the day works nicely.
    3. Do bench press first. You'll still be able to get your squats in. Or put it on its own day altogether. There isn't anything wrong with doing 10,000lb total volume on the bench press, or ending a session without being able to do another rep at all.
    4. Add volume by altering the mechanics. Do a couple of backoff sets (as many reps as you can do) using a wide grip. Do the same with a narrow grip. Try it without leg drive, or without an arch (do these as assistance exercises).
    5. Add a useful assistance exercise, such as dips.
    6. Practice adding a pause. If you get to the point where you can pause reps, your T&G bench will go up.
    Most things here I haven't tried. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    This is probably the place to start.

Add one set of bench per session, i.e. 4x5. Then go to 5x5.

Or, if you're doing A/B/A then B/A/B over the two week schedule, swap to benching on Monday and Friday every week.

If those don't work, then I'd recommend a bit of brogramming where you hit some tricep and pec work after the main lifts are done. Shit works sometimes.
    Hell, what could it hurt?

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by synnfusion View Post
    Okay I will post a video to the forum when I bench again. Thanks!
    That's seriously a good call. I've had to correct several "near-perfect" bench presses in the past year. It's an easy lift to get right with a little coaching, but even small form issues that are hard to spot can create an early stall.

I'd avoid Facebook and bodybuilding.com for form advice like the plague.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast