starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaking a Training Plateau?

Default Breaking a Training Plateau?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have been through LP, the texas method, and have been doing RTS now. This is my 3rd year powerlifting so I have built up a baseline strength. I have squatted 496lb, benched 290lb, and deadlifted 507lbs. Most of my progress has happened in the first 2 years.

I had times when I felt obviously over fatigued, and when I dropped the total volume and frequency little by little. I felt much less fatigued, and felt good, but I was still not progressing. When I first started a RTS style program, I put weight on the bar weekly. Gains were coming fast. It brought my squat up from 400 to 470 in a matter of about 7 months. Now, I am struggling to make any progress. In fact, I am worried about losing gains. I know every individual responds differently and it is hard to give any advice without seeing what my program is like...but I'm not sure what to do. It seems like I can not make weekly progress or even monthly progress. In this last year of training, I put 26lbs on my squat, 10lbs on my bench, and 15lbs on my deadlift. Is this normal? Should I stay with the RTS style program and keep changing variables or move onto something new?

Thanks.

From what I've seen around the forums and logs, running SS, TM and RTS will get a dedicated lifter pretty far, maybe even farther than you are. So if I'm not mistaken, you logged in December of 2016 a weight of 85 kilos at 180 cm. I have seen some wisdom here that would say that you've likely tapped the limits of strength at your current weight, so for you, becoming stronger may be more a question of getting bigger and gaining weight to get stronger. Have you read this?

Eating Through the Sticking Points | Matt Reynolds

The author coaches SS online.

Quote Originally Posted by koreansavage View Post
    I have been through LP, the texas method, and have been doing RTS now. This is my 3rd year powerlifting so I have built up a baseline strength. I have squatted 496lb, benched 290lb, and deadlifted 507lbs. Most of my progress has happened in the first 2 years.

I had times when I felt obviously over fatigued, and when I dropped the total volume and frequency little by little. I felt much less fatigued, and felt good, but I was still not progressing. When I first started a RTS style program, I put weight on the bar weekly. Gains were coming fast. It brought my squat up from 400 to 470 in a matter of about 7 months. Now, I am struggling to make any progress. In fact, I am worried about losing gains. I know every individual responds differently and it is hard to give any advice without seeing what my program is like...but I'm not sure what to do. It seems like I can not make weekly progress or even monthly progress. In this last year of training, I put 26lbs on my squat, 10lbs on my bench, and 15lbs on my deadlift. Is this normal? Should I stay with the RTS style program and keep changing variables or move onto something new?

Thanks.
    What have you tried so far? And yeah, it would be hard to give useful advice without seeing your programming.

FYI, there is a free training log app on the RTS site where you can enter your training data and run a number of reports on it. Might lend some insight into what works or doesn't work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by VikingCellist View Post
    From what I've seen around the forums and logs, running SS, TM and RTS will get a dedicated lifter pretty far, maybe even farther than you are. So if I'm not mistaken, you logged in December of 2016 a weight of 85 kilos at 180 cm. I have seen some wisdom here that would say that you've likely tapped the limits of strength at your current weight, so for you, becoming stronger may be more a question of getting bigger and gaining weight to get stronger. Have you read this?

Eating Through the Sticking Points | Matt Reynolds

The author coaches SS online.
    187 lbs at 5'11" is indeed really light for powerlifting, but that article seems like terrible advice for someone who's a late intermediate/advanced trainee and not on drugs. (edit before anyone jumps on me: I'm not saying that anyone in the article is or isn't on drugs, just that this doesn't seem like the best approach to gaining weight for experienced natural lifters)
    Last edited by manveer; 03-07-2017 at 10:23 AM.

I'm 5'7 and 200lbs, get your weight up and see how that helps you.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    What have you tried so far? And yeah, it would be hard to give useful advice without seeing your programming.

FYI, there is a free training log app on the RTS site where you can enter your training data and run a number of reports on it. Might lend some insight into what works or doesn't work for you.

187 lbs at 5'11" is indeed really light for powerlifting, but that article seems like terrible advice for someone who's a late intermediate/advanced trainee and not on drugs. (edit before anyone jumps on me: I'm not saying that anyone in the article is or isn't on drugs, just that this doesn't seem like the best approach to gaining weight for experienced natural lifters)
    In terms of programming, I have been changing up frequencies for all 3 lifts and total weekly volume accumulation of each lift. I have been trying to see how my body feels because I had points where I was obviously way over fatigued. I got sick, 0 sex drive, ect. I have tried reduce total stress applied to my body, but I can't seem to hit that perfect window. I think gaining weight is the best thing to do as of now, since I look like a stick and must also become a man. I hope that my plateu is from me messing up some variable and not the limit of my potential. Hopefully gaining weight will make me much stronger and give me better leverages.

Gaining weight will definitely help, but maybe follow Jordan's TBAB macros rather than trying to gain very rapidly.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Gaining weight will definitely help, but maybe follow Jordan's TBAB macros rather than trying to gain very rapidly.
    Yeah, I have decided to have Jordan coach me if he has any available spots left. I'm sure gaining weight and getting coached by Jordan will help me break through this damn plateau.

Yeah, I have decided to have Jordan coach me if he has any available spots left. I'm sure gaining weight and getting coached by Jordan will help me break through this damn plateau.
    I agree that weight gain is a pretty good idea. A goal of 3lbs/inch puts you at 213lbs.

I'm 6', float between 210-220 depending on how many cookies I eat, have been training 4 years with 545/365/565 while in double digit test levels and having 2 kids, and still maintain a 6-pack.

Eat the food.

I really like that you've maximized your strength at a given weight rather than just "gain weight, gain weight, gain weight" that is heard here all the time. The only thing worse than being light and pretty weak (which you CLEARLY are anything but weak) is being fat and sorta weak. For example, I know I can get much stronger at my current weight before I need to worry about gaining weight. You though are at the point where weight gain is your best option.
    Last edited by Dag; 03-08-2017 at 03:28 PM.

starting strength coach development program

It brought my squat up from 400 to 470 in a matter of about 7 months. Now, I am struggling to make any progress. In fact, I am worried about losing gains. I know every individual responds differently and it is hard to give any advice without seeing what my program is like...but I'm not sure what to do. It seems like I can not make weekly progress or even monthly progress. In this last year of training, I put 26lbs on my squat, 10lbs on my bench, and 15lbs on my deadlift. Is this normal?
    So, most has been touched on:
    -gain some weight
    -get some coaching
    -change your programming

While I think your gains in the last year have been troublesome and should have been better, I think you're past experience of quick gains in strength has given you some unrealistic expectations on future increases. I am a firm believer in slow(er) progress over the long term at a certain point. You are certainly (most likely) at that point. You may need to alter your perspective on what to expect going forward from your programming. Personally, if I can add 60 pounds a year to my squats and pulls and 30-45 to my presses, I am happy. But I don't compete, I am oldish, and I am in no hurry. For reference my squats are at 510 for heavy singles, pulls are at 625 for heavy singles. These aren't 1 rep maxes, just a regular part of my programming.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast