starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KSCMPB Deadlift Progression

Default KSCMPB Deadlift Progression

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Andy,

On my 3rd week now of your PowerBuilding program and loving it. I have question about progressing on my deadlifts. I am doing them with the 2 back-off sets, instead of sets across. I hope to work up to sets across, but coming directly off advanced SS where I was doing one work set of 5 every 10 days or so, the volume of 3 sets across is just too much for me at this point.

So, my question is: Do I need to have successfully gotten the designated number of reps for that week on the top set, as well as the 2 back-off sets in order to progress the next time that number of reps come due, or should I progress if I simply got required reps on the top set. Here is what my first 3 weeks looked like...that may help:

Week 1: 345x7 - 315x8,5
    (I know I need to repeat, as I got 7 on top set, but if I had gotten 8 would it be okay to move up next time given that I only got 5 on the last back-off?)
    Week 2: 380x5 - 345x5,3 (Should I progress, given the 3 for the last back-off?)
    Week 3: 420x2,2 - 380x2

I trust you see what I am getting at...in short, do I need to complete the designated number of reps for all three sets in order to add weight...whether they are back-off sets or not?

Thanks,

Danny

Use your top set as your metric for progression. Tweak you back off numbers so that you can complete required volume without missing. May need to drop weight a bit for each back off set.

Perfect. Thanks!!

Enjoying the program and all of my numbers are going up and 3 months in ... but now my deadlift is stuck cos I can't hang onto the damn bar.

Grip strength sucks!

Switch to hook or alternating grip if you haven't already. You can use straps for any set after your first main work set.

Default KSCMPB Deadlift Progression

Alternative grip has transformed my lifting! Got me unstuck so onwards and up wards.

Using 2x overhand for all DLs except for work sets.

Thx
    Last edited by Russbowen; 03-21-2017 at 11:26 AM.

Hear that all of you committed double overhand deadlifters?

You are stifling your own progress by stubbornly refusing to use anything other than double overhand. I'm not sure why this is such a widespread problem, but it is. DL is a hip/leg/back exercise, not a grip exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Hear that all of you committed double overhand deadlifters?

You are stifling your own progress by stubbornly refusing to use anything other than double overhand. I'm not sure why this is such a widespread problem, but it is.
    For the same reasons people insist on squatting barefoot or not wearing a belt.

Andy,

I am on SSLP and my deadlift alternates with the power clean and so the deadlift volume is a concern of mine as I want to strengthen my grip.

Should I include extra deadlift work at lighter weights on the rest days, say at 50 % of 5RM for set of 5, so that I can aim for grip strength?

If this is a good idea, how many sets and reps should I do - my deadlift is at 220lbs as it's been stuck due to grip weakness.

Thanks

starting strength coach development program
    Are you using an alternate grip at 220lbs and not able to hold it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast