starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 day split template

Default 4 day split template

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So I have used the forum,PPST3,and Andy baker articles to attempt to formulate a workable early intermediate routine for myself.

Im looking for some feedback incase I have some sort of hole I can't see in my plan. To me it seems solid.

Day 1
    Heavy bench(currently using ramping 3x5 and lifts going up)
    Medium press 3x5

Day 2
    Heavy squats(currently using 2x3 for top sets)
    2x5 back offs @80-90% of topset

Day 3
    Heavy press(currently using 3x3)
    Light bench 2-3x5/bench variant

Day 4
    Medium squats 2-3x5 @80-90% of heavy worksets
    Deadlift(currently using 2x3 for worksets)
    1-3 backoff

I appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks in advance.

Personally the $27/mo or whatever for Baker's Barbell Club is way worth it to not have to think about this stuff. I just go to gym, lift what's programmed and log it. New program shows up every week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yes I have thought about doing that.

I like to tinker with things and like the idea of being able to make successful programming calls for myself.(have not really been able to this so far...but think this plans solid)

I like it. It is similar to one I have devised. Your third day is very light on volume. You could add conditioning that day or add rows or pull-ups.

How old are you? I ask only regarding volume. If you're under 40, don't worry so much about it - if you're over 50, then watch your volume. Volume beats you up as you get older...

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Rivers View Post
    Personally the $27/mo or whatever for Baker's Barbell Club is way worth it to not have to think about this stuff. I just go to gym, lift what's programmed and log it. New program shows up every week.
    I don't understand this mentality at all. I've always enjoyed the process of taking different ideas and formulating my own true custom program.
    There is no way I can follow a cookie cutter program. The best program is your program.

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    Add some upper back work, and probably double the volume on the light bench day, and it looks pretty good. Personally I'd DL before squats on day 4. Some conditioning wouldn't hurt.
    Are you saying double up volume for both the press and light bench on those or just one?

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    I don't understand this mentality at all. I've always enjoyed the process of taking different ideas and formulating my own true custom program.
    There is no way I can follow a cookie cutter program. The best program is your program.
    I think a lot of the folks running Baker's programming have had some training history where they've done all the hard work of programming, but are now at a point in their lives where they're so busy with work/family or other commitments that they'd rather have someone else program so that they get in and out of the gym in less than two hours.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    I think a lot of the folks running Baker's programming have had some training history where they've done all the hard work of programming, but are now at a point in their lives where they're so busy with work/family or other commitments that they'd rather have someone else program so that they get in and out of the gym in less than two hours.
    That's the way the world is today, no one wants to think for themselves anymore. My training sessions never take longer than one hour.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    +1.

OP - good for you to design your own program. Go in the gym, spend a few months testing it out, and then keep what works and discard what doesn't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast