starting strength gym

Thread: Sled conditioning programming

Default Sled conditioning programming

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Love the advice in The Barbell Prescription, including the HIIT sled recommendation. Curious, though. The example in figure 26-1 calls for a total of 76 "reps" on the short/heavy day, and 65 "reps" on the light/long day. This seems like a hell of a lot, and it seems it would take a great deal of time. I realize that it can still be time-efficient even if it takes a while. I am going to give it a shot, but just wondering if I'm overestimating the time it takes to do this many sets.

If this is a stupid question that opens me up to justified ridicule, please delete...

I don't see where you are getting your numbers from?? We never recommend more than 10 total trips in that figure. At the longest a workout would be 10 trips x 50 yds with a moderate/light load. Probably 20-30 min session if rest time is under control

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    I don't see where you are getting your numbers from?? We never recommend more than 10 total trips in that figure. At the longest a workout would be 10 trips x 50 yds with a moderate/light load. Probably 20-30 min session if rest time is under control
    I've gotten a lot stronger since starting the program well over a year ago. I'm 59 and been a runner since the 6th grade and a pretty good distance runner at that. I still enjoy running but your most recent book has got me thinking about the prowler rather than more running. I'm curious if you have any data on how a person who does the prowler per your book would do in regards to running? I still enjoy my Saturday morning trail runs and was thinking of cutting out my week day street runs and getting a prowler instead.

I have no data other than 10+ years of anecdotal feedback. Running makes you weak, small, slow, inflexible, and inflamed. So I don't care if the Prowler makes you better or worse at an activity I think you should avoid anyways.

Maybe a poorly worded question. When I say "76 reps" I mean for the entire session. You don't recommend more than 10 total trips at any single weight, but as one progresses from 90 lbs to 180 lbs, with increasing number of trips at each weight, it adds up. But, if it only takes up to 30 minutes, that seems to answer my question. That is, I'm worrying about something I don't need to worry about. I'm starting the sled today.

I have no data other than 10+ years of anecdotal feedback. Running makes you weak, small, slow, inflexible, and inflamed. So I don't care if the Prowler makes you better or worse at an activity I think you should avoid anyways.
    Well that's a good point. Thanks for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    Maybe a poorly worded question. When I say "76 reps" I mean for the entire session. You don't recommend more than 10 total trips at any single weight, but as one progresses from 90 lbs to 180 lbs, with increasing number of trips at each weight, it adds up. But, if it only takes up to 30 minutes, that seems to answer my question. That is, I'm worrying about something I don't need to worry about. I'm starting the sled today.
    Don't overthink this. The model is just an example of how one MIGHT progress. Its not prescriptive for anyone. Just put some weight on the sled, push/pull it around for about 20 minutes and get as much work as you can in 20 minutes. The next time, stay at 20 minutes but try to get in a little bit more work in the form of more weight, longer distances, or more trips. So if time is your main concern, then cap the time at 20 minutes or whatever you have available and work towards more work within a set time frame.

starting strength coach development program
    Will do. Thanks.