starting strength gym

Thread: Alternatives to weights for the ultra-elderly

Angry Alternatives to weights for the ultra-elderly

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    They won't let me continue barbell-training my old friends (a bunch of 80-91 y/o gals) at the local day center. They think it's too dangerous (after 3.5 months of beautiful LP. Bastards).
    Any thoughts what can I do for my friends from now on?
    Thanks
    G.

Can you bring in a DB set and some kettlebells? Get the colorful ones with neoprene covers. People aren't scared of those. Have them DB Squats (held in front squat position) and KB deadlifts. Better than nothing.

Thanks a lot and a great idea.
    It won't help now, though, cause they've kicked me out. Just took out all my gear yesterday.
    This is so outrageous. These old folks probably got stronger than the 30 years younger staff that takes care of them, felt better, and kept attending training - but hey, old people lifting iron weights? God forbid, they might eventually get really independent and the whole System will crash, right?
    Anyway, thanks again and I hope I'll put it into good use elsewhere.
    G.

In their defense, this program was probably in clear violation of some insurance clause, or at least it wasn't expressly covered by their insurance. At the end of the day, the home is a business and the business must unfortunately make some hard business decisions. Imagine the ramifications IF something were to happen to one of their 91 year old patients who was doing barbell training in their facility with an outside entity. The lawyers would descend upon them like a plague of locusts.

I say that as someone who supports your efforts. Open a small gym dedicated to seniors and you'll be full in 6 months

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    I say that as someone who supports your efforts. Open a small gym dedicated to seniors and you'll be full in 6 months
    ^ This. People will pay money for value, and strength is valuable.

starting strength coach development program
    In their defense, this program was probably in clear violation of some insurance clause, or at least it wasn't expressly covered by their insurance. At the end of the day, the home is a business and the business must unfortunately make some hard business decisions. Imagine the ramifications IF something were to happen to one of their 91 year old patients who was doing barbell training in their facility with an outside entity. The lawyers would descend upon them like a plague of locusts.
    Very true. I guess I should actually thank my luck and have only appreciation for these guys for letting me go so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    ^ This. People will pay money for value, and strength is valuable.
    This was for me both a demonstration of the not-age-related potency of strength training, and the deep misunderstanding of it as a therapeutic tool. And yes, also of the importance of proper insurance.
    I appreciate your supportive words and will try to harness my disappointment in such a constructive direction.