starting strength gym

Thread: HLM for mass+strength

Default HLM for mass+strength

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Andy.

I'm 6'0", 21yrs, 180lbs.
    I'm looking to put on some muscle mass (1st priority), while also getting stronger (I want to squat 330, deadlift 330 and bench 225. Currently squatting 315, deadlifting 285 and benching 190)(all work set weight).
    I was looking into a HLM-based approach to achieve this goal.

How does this program look, in terms of the above mass+strength goals (slightly altered version of the program from this thread):

Heavy:
    Squat: 3 sets of 5.
    Bench: 3 sets of 5 + 2 backoff sets of 8 @80% of work sets.
    Deadlift: 1 set of 5.

Light:
    Squat: 3 sets of 5 @80%
    OHP: 3 sets of 5 + 2 backoff sets of 8 @80% of work sets.
    Rows: 3 sets of 5.
    Chin ups: 3 sets to failure.

Medium:
    Squat: 3 sets of 5 @90%
    Close grip bench: 3 sets of 5 + 2 backoff sets of 8 @80% of work sets.
    RDL's: 3 sets of 5.
    Curls: 3 sets of 8-10.

Will this be too much work if my aim is to gain ½pound of bodyweight per week, trying to reach my goals?

No this program is fine. If you eat enough you'll gain weight with this. My guess though is you need a form check with the SSC staff upstairs though to fix your squat, which might be high since its so much heavier than your DL. Or your DL form sucks and you need that checked too.

You could probably DL on Mon and Fri at this point on an LP and drop the RDLs.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    No this program is fine. If you eat enough you'll gain weight with this. My guess though is you need a form check with the SSC staff upstairs though to fix your squat, which might be high since its so much heavier than your DL. Or your DL form sucks and you need that checked too.

You could probably DL on Mon and Fri at this point on an LP and drop the RDLs.
    Thank you for your answer Andy!
    A follow up question: you recommend DL on both Medium and Heavy day... should the deadlift reps/set scheme be the same on the Medium day as the Heavy day, or should i change something on the Medium day?

I have gotten my squat and DL checked several times, I just can't pull as much as I can squat - probably because of the squat frequency. I don't know what else could be wrong.

No, I just think that with your Deadlift and your age you can pull a heavy set of 5 twice per week and get yourself up into the mid-300s without any sort of intermediate level programming.