starting strength gym

Thread: 65 year old running out of LP in 1 month

Default 65 year old running out of LP in 1 month

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am training a motivated 65 year old lady. She has just finished her 4th week. She is not squatting yet so I have her doing leg presses and deadlift which are increasing nicely. The problem is with the press. 25 pounds was no problem but 27 was hard. This week she pressed 28 for sets but it was difficult. I am not sure if I can keep adding even a pound per workout. That's fine, but she is only finishing her 4th week and already straining. I don't think having her intensity level so high each workout is a good idea. Andy Baker mentions this in his video. He discusses 5x5's and backoff sets so they still get volume but a moderated intensity. But that's for maintenance after phase 3 of training. We are only a month in! I am guessing I progressed her too quickly but am not sure how to fix the programming.

If she's doing three sets of five, try repeating the same weight twice before bumping up another pound. Alternatively, a rotating range with the same weight for three sessions of five sets of three, four for four, and three for five may allow her to keep progressing upward.

Drop to 5 sets of 3 if you haven't already, increases of 0.5 lbs.

Do you have Barbell Prescription?

One idea from that book is rep progressions.
    I.e. 3 reps at new weight, two backoff sets of 5 at 10% lighter, next week 4 reps at the same weight and two backoff sets, etc. Increase weight every 3 weeks.

Yeah, I have the Prescription book but it has been sitting unread because I am re-reading the blue book.
    These are all great suggestions and gave me a lot to think about.
    Because the lifter is female I plan on switching to 5 sets of 3. Watching the effort increase from 25 to 27 pounds makes me think .5 pound increments are the way to go.

Thank you All!
    Last edited by HammerTime; 03-18-2017 at 04:14 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Shifting to sets of 3 certainly helped a female client of mine unstick the press, which stalled in the first few weeks of training.