starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why skip AMRAPs?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Nelson View Post
    This is the key, IMHO. If the purpose of your reset is to dissipate some accumulated fatigue, then why add stress with an AMRAP set? If you're stalling/resetting because of recovery issues, just enjoy the couple light weeks, let the fatigue dissipate, and (hopefully) progress past your stall point. Again, though, applications may vary if you're periodizing, running out TM, etc.
    Have you read the Greyskull LP? The author John Sheaffer used Starting Strength then found his 'Greyskull Reset' could be used to get past those stalls, so moved his program to 3x5+. Apparently with much success for him and his clients.

Maybe his program should be considered an intermediate program..

I'm not trying to start an argument, as most people here are A LOT stronger than me, so I'm going to take the advice and cap things at 5's.

Interesting stuff though.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by samstrength View Post
    Have you read the Greyskull LP? The author John Sheaffer used Starting Strength then found his 'Greyskull Reset' could be used to get past those stalls, so moved his program to 3x5+. Apparently with much success for him and his clients.

Maybe his program should be considered an intermediate program..

I'm not trying to start an argument, as most people here are A LOT stronger than me, so I'm going to take the advice and cap things at 5's.

Interesting stuff though.
    1) If someone has to reset to dissipate fatigue, adding an AMRAP set defeats that purpose, but...

2) If someone stalls, a small reset with AMRAPs might not even get them more than one or two extra reps on the final set

It's probably better to just stick with fives on novice LP. The one, two and mayyyyybe three extra reps on a final set won't make or break someone's progress, I'd imagine.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234