starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Umpteenth Post-LP Weight Loss Thread

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    We're kind of in the same boat. I'm 36, 5'10", was 219 in February, steadily lost down to 207 now just by doing about 2400 calories a week. I think dropped to 2350 this week. About 200 protein, 200 carbs, 80 fat (just roughly, I'd have to look in the app). I weigh myself every Saturday. Use Mynetdiary or Joy health tracker because they're cheap and Myfitnesspal sucks.

I'm pretty sure there's only two options for guys like us, track your calories, which is more work but will make you hate life and working out less, or go ketogenic which is less work but will make you hate both.

Program wise it sounds like you need to drop 10% and reset either way, so why not just shift to HLM when you do. Your bench and press still need a lot of work which means you probably need to grow your upper girdle, which means a lot of upper body sessions and avoiding a big drastic calorie cut. Guarantee if you drop to ~2000 calories right now or shed ten pounds rapidly your press would be like 105. You want a big plate press, right? If you stay around 2400 calories and do 3-4 days of bench/press sessions a week a la HLM your press might/should still go slowly up while still losing a pound a week.

Me, I'm doing this Hanleyesque/Chebassesque program:

Monday: Bench x5, then 90-95% two sets. Romanian deadlifts x 8 x 3
    Tuesday: Squat x5 then 90-95% two sets. Press AMRAP in 10 min.

Wednesday: GPP-ish type stuff, Andy Baker's deadmill pushes, pullups/curls/dips/etc, with half an eye to Jordan's GPP protocol here

Thursday: Monday's bench but add 5 lbs, then deadlift x5, then backoff sets
    Friday: Tuesday's squat but add 5 lbs, then press AMRAP 10 min

Saturday: like Wednesday

I think I'm responding nicely to four pressing sessions a week, for what it's worth. Hit a bench PR. Everything else is still sucky numbers but that's my fault.

Thanks. I'm planning on slow cutting, using information from Jordan and Izzy. Adjust calories to maintain 1.5-2 lbs/wk weight loss. My plan right now is 3 months on, 1 month "diet break" at maintenance. Hopefully 2 cycles of that will get me down to the low/mid teens.

It's getting to be time to actually put the plan into place, based on the belt test and the mirror test. Tomorrow's going to be my last LP workout. Squat sessions are getting brutal. 3.5 plates seems as good a place to stop as any.

I'm going to reset and switch to an HLM setup on squats next week. I'm going to keep LPing bench and press until I hit a hard stall (which could be soon). Just barely missed 135x5x3 on the press this week, hit 200x5x3 on bench. (I was out of town all last week and missed workouts.)

I also need to add in conditioning/GPP.

The hard part for me, as stupid as it sounds, is figuring out what to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by cph View Post
    The hard part for me, as stupid as it sounds, is figuring out what to eat.
    Almost right away with tracking I realized with my diet (and I think I eat a pretty standard American male diet) it was super easy to meet fat requirements (pretty sure I could eat 60 grams of fat in one meal easily), not that hard to meet carb requirements, so basically protein is the kicker. Bulk whey from Myprotein is a lifesaver. Cans of chicken (not nearly as bad as it sounds) and tuna. Liquid eggwhites.

I think even if a guy didn't track if they tried to eat low fat, moderate (and mostly complex) carb, high protein consistently every day (which means no donuts when they bring donuts to work) they could lose weight. It would be hard to overeat. But I'd rather track and be honestly able to fit a donut or bacon into my macros rather than sneak it like I inevitably would.

starting strength coach development program
    For anybody who cares to follow, I started a log for my weight loss phase.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123