starting strength gym

Thread: Focus on the Press in HLM

Default Focus on the Press in HLM

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Coach Baker,

first let me say many thanks for your patience in sharing your knowledge and experience. Other than the books (obviously), I've read a lot of your posts and articles here and on your page. They've been tremendously helpful in programming my training, especially in making the transition from novice LP to early intermediate.

Now, my question is how to program for a focus on the Press in HLM. I've searched the forum, but didn't find much expect doing bench/press/incline bench. I ditched incline benching due to shoulder issues and am reluctant to incorporate it again.
    I'm not strong in general, but my press sucks the most. For the last 6 years or so, i did only close grip benching. After starting the SS novice LP last year, i tried a normal grip, but recently moved the hands closer again (medium to close grip) because of reappearing shoulder issues.

At the moment, my pressing looks like this:
    Monday: Press 4x5
    Wednesday: Bench 4x5
    Friday: Push Press 3x5.

A couple of weeks ago, i added a back off set on monday and wednesday to increase volume, as I do each move only 1/week. This back off set is between 6 and 8 reps @RPE <9.

Now, what looked like a good idea doesn't work too well - or at all. I thought push press would be a good idea, i used to do it years ago when i dabbled in strongman training, and i hoped the heavier weight overhead and especially when pressing into lockout would translate to a stronger press, but it seems i was wrong. My pressing doesn't really improve.
    I had to reset twice in the last couple of months due to a) shoulder pain and b) stalling at 64kg x5 x3, while still doing the novice LP. Now I'm getting the weight back up 1kg per week and I am weaker than before (currently at 59kg x5 x4, grinding).
    Bench weight last week was 98kg x5 x4, easy, (+ 95kg x8), today will be 99kg. Was at 106kg x5 x3 before reset. (After benching, I do verly light pressing, more for shoulder health than anything, @around 60% or 35kg for 3 sets.)

Any ideas on how to continue from here?

Further infos, if relevant: male, 40 years, around 96kg bw fairly lean, 6'1". Working weights DL 187,5kg (413 lbs), squat at the moment in rehab at 100kg (220 lbs).

Thank you for your time,
    Alex

I'd go:

Mon: Press Intensity: singles across or 3 x 2-3
    Weds: Bench
    Fri - Press Vol 5x5

This is more like TM than HLM but will work better and still fit with rest of your HLM template

Awesome, thank you!
    Will do!