starting strength gym

Thread: Garage Gym Warrior results

Default Garage Gym Warrior results

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This is my first post here but I am constantly looking for information on this site and forum since I believe that this place is one of the best sources on getting strong. I purchased this program a few months ago and ran it almost as written. The only time I changed it was in week 6 due to a busy week at work where I had to change it to a 4 day split, basically an upper lower to save time. To be honest I was surprised with how simple it was compared to other programs that I've run like GZCL and 5/3/1. The urge to do more was there but I decided to run it as is as I figured that Coach Baker knew what he was doing when he wrote this. Also the words, "just do the f#cking program" in Rip's voice kept running through my mind.

A little about myself. I'm a 37 year old married father of three that is going to school and work about 50-55 hours a week. I'm 6'1, 270 pounds. I lost about 65 ponds 3 years ago and took up lifting weights about 2.5 years ago. I started Strong Lifts 5x5 and have done Madcow, 5/3/1 for a while and then GZCL. I've known about Starting Strength for a while but what really turned me on to this was watching the Art of Manliness videos with Coach Rip. I'm glad that I did as I really appreciate the simple, no non-sense philosophies taught by him and Coach Baker.

Any ways here are my starting lifts:
    Squat 435
    Bench 285
    Deadlift 455

At the end of the full GGW cycle:
    Squat 455 - 20 pound PR
    Bench 300 (paused) - 15 pond PR
    Deadlift 430x3 (estimated 1 RM is 473)- estimated 18 pound PR

Total 53 pound PR

I decided not to max my deadlift out as I didn't see a benefit in doing so. I took my numbers from week 11 and I wanted to see if I could hit it for a triple. I did and that tells me that I got stronger so I'm real good with that. I was really pleased with my bench as that has been a goal of mine for a while and this program has been the only one so far to really move it. Lastly a 20 pound PR in the squat was awesome. Squatting over 200 kilos has also been a goal of mine for a bit and I was able to accomplish that as well.

Overall this is a great program that I plan on running again until I plateau on it. It's extremely simple which at first was a put off because I wasn't doing crazy variations of the lifts like other programs. I stuck to just doing the lifts which ended up working for me. The only thing I plan on doing differently is to deadlift from a 1 inch deficit on Mondays and either pause or do tempo squats on Wednesday. If you're looking for a simple to run program that just works I would highly recommend purchasing this and running it as written. Thank you Coach Baker for putting such great stuff out there.

Thanks man. I appreciate that. I'm glad you had success with the program. Let me know if I can help in the future.

If anyone is curious: Garage Gym Warrior ? Andy Baker

What about your press Saavy? good work BTW

I didn't max my press but I had it set at 195 pounds. I hit 205 about 5 months ago but I have not pushed it since. I will try to get my bench to 315 and then push my press after that.