starting strength gym

Thread: S&M40+ vs GGW

Default S&M40+ vs GGW

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Andy, I've searched but can't find the info I'm looking for. Basically I want to purchase one of these two programs. I understand the first is a 4-day split and the 2nd a 3-day HLM. On to the stuff that will help me pick if you would, please. FYI I own and have read SS, PPST and Barbell Medicine.

Quick BIO:
    On my 9th week of SSLP, but it's really grinding at this point.
    45 years old
    5'10" 196lbs

I started SS at 185 lbs. My abdomen skin fold has gone from 27mm to 19mm in this time, so I've lost fat but have still gained 11 lbs over all. Put an inch on my hips and on each thigh. 3/4" on my bicep. Waist is down about an inch. Really nice stuff. Would like this to continue as long as possible.

Current lifts across 3 sets (except deads which is 1 set)
    Squat 285
    Dead 330
    Bench 215
    Press 137.5

I workout at home. Nice Rogue power rack with chin-up bar and a flat bench.

Normally I'd just keep going with what I'm doing. I'm starting to gain fat again. Ab pinch up 2-3 mm in the last couple weeks after going down for so long. The kicker is I have a trip to Hawaii in 3 months. My wife won the trip for her sales performance with her pharma job and we're taking our kids. Lots of pictures, hanging out with her coworkers, etc. Vanity is kicking in so I want to start dropping a little BF before then.

My questions in regards to which you'd suggest:
    1) Do both of your programs contain info for manipulating diet for weight gain AND loss?
    3) Am I going to ruin the next 3-months on any program if I concentrate on leaning out this early vs milking the strength/muscle gains I'm currently enjoying?
    4) Which of your two programs sounds like the best for me and my goals?

Thanks for all the info in your books with Sully and Rip!

You could do either really. It's a matter of personal preference based on the style of training you want:

Garage Gym Warrior - 3 day per week full body program. Based on heavy-light-medium system. Almost no assistance, just barebones barbell lifts. Takes 12-13 weeks to complete

Str & Mass After 40 - 4 day split based on Heavy-Light system. Barbell lifts + some assistance work. Operates in repeating 3-week cycles.