starting strength gym

Thread: Heavy/light split rep scheme?

Default Heavy/light split rep scheme?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Andy, In ppst3 in heavy/light split section all it says is to cycle from sets across of 5 then cycle down to lower rep sets. So my question is would this be starting at 3x5 adding 2.5kg each week down to how many sets of triples, doubles, singles? Light days would be 3x5 of close variation or main lift done again. Would weight be added to that aswel or would this just be by feel? as in just getting some work in without it being too taxing like volume day is on the texas method.

There are a ton of ways to do this that work. It's hard to narrow it down to a single method with exact set/rep schemes.

What I've been programming as of late for most of my clients is alternating every other "heavy" workout between vol and intensity.

Using Squat/Deads as example, something like:

Monday: Intensity Squat 1RM + 2x2-3 @ 90%; Deadlift Variant 2-3x5 (ie moderate vol and int)
    Thurs: Deadlift Volume 5x5 @ 75%, Light Squat or Pause Squat 3x5 or front squat

Monday: Squat Vol 5x5 @ 75%, DL variant
    Thurs: Deadlift Int 1RM + 2x2@ 90%

Monday: Squat Variant (pin or box squat) 1RM + 2x2@90%, DL variant
    Thurs: DL volume 5x4 @ 80%, Light squat 3x5

And so on and so forth. Int days are often a variant up to a 1RM then back offs at 90%. Volume goes in a wave from 75-80-85% and then start back over.

I've borrowed heavily from Westside but adapted to a Raw / Drug free lifter.

Thanks andy, i like that setup definitely gives me some ideas. Ive had success with conjugate before when i was in off season playing rugby league mostly up to 3-5rm on heavy day though rarely singles.