starting strength gym
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why doesn't anyone do medium deadlifts?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    You did added volume running up to 600, right? I can't remember.
    I ran 5-3-1 with 5x5 First set last and joker sets for two months following 2 months of HLM, and the total volume/tonnage on deadlifts went up a lot:

Last edited by Tim K; 03-24-2017 at 09:14 AM.

Does anyone have an example of a trainee running strict PPST programs to a 6 plate pull?
    JoeLiftsWeights has run his novice LP (AFAICT) to a 635 deadlift. Just thought I would brighten your day in case it wasn't going well, Elon.

Beyond SSLP do any of the programs include more than 5 proper deadlift reps a week? (I guess "Running out TM" could conceivably include things like 2x3 on DL, right?) I could look through my copy when I get home, but I'll be honest, I'm not going to, and I'm not going to check this thread over the weekend anyways, so I'll just ask instead.
    I think 2x3 or maybe 4x2 is as far as it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    JoeLiftsWeights has run his novice LP (AFAICT) to a 635 deadlift. Just thought I would brighten your day in case it wasn't going well, Elon.
    Well thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Actually according to his log he had quite a bit of training experience before this current run of LP/whatever he's doing now (hard to get an overview from the format of his log): JoeLiftsWeights Competitively

Not really a "novice" LP

EDIT: Still, most impressive.
    Last edited by Tim K; 03-24-2017 at 09:44 AM.

OK, I won't commit seppuku then.

I just noticed this in his log:

I train every third day in order to be fully rested and to accommodate my work schedule. It will be interesting to see how far the linear progression will take me before I transition to the Texas Method.
    I have often toyed with the idea of a 1 on 2 off schedule. In PPST it's mentioned briefly but not given a lot of attention and this is the first time I recall seeing anyone actually do it. He's been doing an LP for 7 months like this and still making progress... maybe there's something to it?

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    I don't think it'd make to much of a difference...so long as session "stress-dose", fatigue and recovery are managed properly.
    Thanks, John.

[headbutting things]

We all want the science to not suck. It sucks.

I don't think any Aasgaard content meets the standard Sully listed in his Q&A post.
    AFAIK Mike has never published anything besides his Project Momentum results. I know he does a lot of testing and gathers a ton of data on clients, though (and non-clients, I guess) via the RTS training log app. Probably the most data-driven programming approach out there.

Also, yeah, novice LP doesn't have a peer-reviewed study, right? But we know it works... because of the thousands of people who have done it.

Actually, thinking about this a bit more. I kinda like the idea of doing this for an intermediate:

Week 1:
    Primary Pull Day:
    conventional deads topset x5; then conventional dead dropsets

Week 2:
    Primary Pull Day:
    Rack pulls x5, then sgdl dropsets.
    I like it. Really. When I do rack pulls I do them from a pretty low pin - plates usually about 4" off the floor. I've never really done them from higher. What are your thoughts on height?
    Last edited by Dag; 03-24-2017 at 12:06 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Its threads like(the 5/31 thread) that both in the present and the past that have caused a lot of confusion. Ive reached the conclusion that the only way to be for certain about a training philosphy is to try it yourself. Not peers or people you help train via expirementation but YOU yourself

I dont doubt you can make RPE work but the amount of moving parts on an RPE based program makes one think a lot about what they are doing. This could be good or bad, bad in that it can cause unecessary stress(which could effect recovery)

It just seems much more simple(and maybe i am wrong)to do a simple layed out progression with concrete weights to progress on rather than have to think about how much more you could or could not do.

My plan for the next year of my life is to do that. I will try it for months on end amd be disciplined in my life to make the simple programming work. Who knows maybe it wont work and I will then pay somebody for some RPE based stuff from one of the coaches.

Furthermore, i know this is a free site and all the coaches and trainers should give their advice but I can point out several times where they disagree on training philosophy. As much good as the info I have got from here this is the one thing I wish could be ironed out amongst the experienced and smart coaches here(the disagreements)
    Last edited by Eric Larousse; 03-24-2017 at 12:22 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast