starting strength gym
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why doesn't anyone do medium deadlifts?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    Late to the party here, and i haven't got a 6 plate (260kg) pull, but i have pulled over 250kg probably a dozen times on essentially no volume. I would guess i deadlift maybe once every 2 months averaged over 3+ years, and that is mostly working up to a heavy single but sometimes i'd go for a rep PR or something, never more thsn 1 set and no backoffs or owt. I do a lot of chinups though.
    Don't you squat, like, 8 trillion pounds though?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    Its threads like(the 5/31 thread) that both in the present and the past that have caused a lot of confusion. Ive reached the conclusion that the only way to be for certain about a training philosphy is to try it yourself. Not peers or people you help train via expirementation but YOU yourself

I dont dont you can make RPE work but the amount of moving parts on an RPE based program makes one think a lot about what they are doing. This could be good or bad, bad in that it can cause unecessary stress(which could effect recovery)

It just seems much more simple(and maybe i am wrong)to do a simple layed out progression with concrete weights to progress on rather than have to think about how much more you could or could not do.

My plan for the next year of my life is to do that. I will try it for months on end amd be disciplined in my life to make the simple programming work. Who knows maybe it wont work and I will then pay somebody for some RPE based stuff from one of the coaches.

Furthermore, i know this is a free site and all the coaches and trainers should give their advice but I can point out several times where they disagree on training philosophy. As much good as the info I have got from here this is the one thing I wish could be ironed out amongst the experienced and smart coaches here(the disagreements)
    I like the disagreements. Means that individuals are thinking for themselves instead of agreeing just to avoid confusion, even if they don't actually agree.

I'm with you on RPE. I'm sure it's an awesome way to train but it seems like you really need a good (bolded for emphasis) coach to do it correctly. I'll admit I'm not smart enough to figure it out by myself, at least not enough to pull it off optimally.

Quote Originally Posted by Dag View Post
    I like it. Really. When I do rack pulls I do them from a pretty low pin - plates usually about 4" off the floor. I've never really done them from higher. What are your thoughts on height?
    I usually do* rack pulls from 1-2" below the tibial plateu (I think that's what it's called). Pretty high, actually.

* I need to stop talking in present tense.
    Last edited by John Hanley; 03-24-2017 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    I usually do* rack pulls from 1-2" below the tibial plateu (I think that's what it's called). Pretty high, actually.

* I need to stop talking in present tense.
    So just below the knee?

Now I have to googlize...

Quote Originally Posted by Dag View Post
    So just below the knee?

Now I have to googlize...
    Pretty much, yeah. 2 inches below the bottom of the knee.

I was thinking of "tibial tuberosity".

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Pretty much, yeah. 2 inches below the bottom of the knee.

I was thinking of "tibial tuberosity".
    It doesn't matter. I don't know what either of those things mean anyway. I recognized "tibial" so made a leap from there.

The more I train, the more I really don't care for many variations of the competition movement. Tempo work has its place for technical reinforcement, working around injuries, etc., and longer RoM movements are useful for better building mass, but I'm increasing skeptical of partials. There are better ways to get overload that don't sacrifice RoM. Most lockout issues are starting position issues and I don't think rack/blocks help with that.

Sully is full of shit when it comes to RPE training. Because SSLP has so much peer-reviewed support? Lol.

People who claim RPE training is too complicated usually don't have a thorough grasp on periodization in general. Like, if I posted an entire block periodization cycle in percentages do you think most people would take one look and say, "Yup, that makes sense". No, they'd be running a black box program just hoping they picked the right guru. That's WITHOUT the auto regulation aspects. RPE training is really only too complicated if, in general, you're not comfortable with advanced training programs. However, the sad reality is that basic linear programs don't really take people to the elite level unless their genetics are incredibly exceptional.

I haven't trained many true novices in a long time, but, yeah, lots of chicks (most?) can handle WAY more than the SSLP on all the movements and many dudes (most?) can handle roughly double or triple the upperbody volume of SSLP. The program works pretty well for squats and, if I'm just being honest, is lackluster for just about every thing else unless you really add a lot of shit to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Narvaez View Post
    People who claim RPE training is too complicated usually don't have a thorough grasp on periodization in general. Like, if I posted an entire block periodization cycle in percentages do you think most people would take one look and say, "Yup, that makes sense". No, they'd be running a black box program just hoping they picked the right guru. That's WITHOUT the auto regulation aspects. RPE training is really only too complicated if, in general, you're not comfortable with advanced training programs. However, the sad reality is that basic linear programs don't really take people to the elite level unless their genetics are incredibly exceptional.
    I'll admit to not being very versed in more advanced programming. What I'm not sure about is setting up the actual training as someone like Mike T. does; sets, reps and such over the course of an entire cycle. But now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever seen a full 12 week, or whatever, example.

Okay, for example, here's...

Sheiko 37: http://truestrengthclub.yolasite.com...heiko%2037.pdf
    RPE Sheiko 37: RTS Forums - Using RTS on a Sheiko base program

Here's a very basic, simple nine week intermediate program from Mike:
    The RTS Generalized Intermediate Program ReactiveTrainingSystems|

Here's a super quick, right off the top of my head RPE version of TM:

Mon:
    Squat: x5@8, repeat until @10
    Bench: x5@8, repeat until @10
    Power Clean: x3@9, repeat until @10

Wed:
    Squat: x5x2 @6-7
    Press: x5@8, repeat until @9
    GHR: 5x10@7-8

Fri:
    Squat: x5@10, 0%
    Bench: x5@10, 0%
    Deadlift: x5@10, 0%

You can turn literally any program into an RPE based version. If RPE seems "too complicated" then it's just a matter of "learning the language of RPE" or the underlying program itself just doesn't make sense to you, either. I can empathize with both, but in the case of the former, it's really a rather short learning curve an in the case of the latter I'm not sure how you can blame that on RPE.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Tom. It's really the latter. I'm not blaming RPE, I get that, it's really the programming itself. I guess I wasn't very clear - when I think RPE, I automatically think of Mike's programming and that's what confuses me some, not the RPE itself. I did look at the general template you referenced and that helps, though it's my understanding that he doesn't use the fatigue drops as he used to. Still, I'll study the general template further to more understand it.

Thanks for your time compiling all that. Really appreciate it.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast